Sorry - a battery recharge question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Sorry - a battery recharge question

Searched but found no answer to: how does a scamp battery recharge? Does it happen when one plugs into regular electric source? Or does one need to do some other recharging techniques?
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might find the answer and other interesting information in the Scamp manual.

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Scamp Manual
Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #3

Indiana
Registry
Thanks. Will try that again. I've watched each video three times but may have missed.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Recharges in two standard ways:
1. If properly setup your battery will recharge from the tow vehicle when you are underway.. Of course don't just plug in and not have the engine started.
2. Your Scamp has a converter which converts the shore power to DC and charges the battery.

You could also either use a solar panel /charge controller setup or a battery charger.
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I take it you don't yet have the Scamp about which you are asking the question.

I think it depends on the age and originality of the Scamp.

Most will have a converter/battery charger that charges the battery when the shore power cable is connected to 120VAC.

I have heard reported that the latest ones also have a 3 stage battery charger incorporated into the converter.

Middle aged ones (?) may still have the "American" brand battery cooker installed that, if it is still working, has a propensity to boil batteries if left connected for extended periods.

Earlier Scamps? Who knows what is still in place and what a p.o. may have changed.

Bottom line: The battery "Should" be charging when the shore power cord is plugged in. In a few cases I have seen auxillary battery chargers added that must be turned on as well.

Also add to the above post that it May also be charged by the TV if so wired.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #6

Indiana
Registry
Thanks mucho! Great - so connecting to shore power will do it. I am waiting for one of the great experts here to get me connected up with charging from my car battery as it does not do it right now, I believe, unless I set that up. Happy to hear the shore power will get me set up though. Thanks again - great people on this list as usual.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Why don't you update your info and let us know what year Scamp you have and also post your TV info. Some vehicles are lucky enough to have 2/3 of the trailer wiring in place and it's almost a slam/dunk to connect a charging line, others have none and can be a pita to wire. Ditto for the brake controller, which you really should consider.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #8

Indiana
Registry
Did not realize there was a info update that included the year of trailer, etc. My expert is coming this week and will work on wiring for battery. Thanks and will go search out info updating page.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Judi,

I think what Bob is requesting is that you put your trailer in a registry, or he could just mean that you should update your profile as it concerns your trailer.
If you click on the Registry button under my user name, to the left, you can look at my four trailers.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Judi, I believe in your previous posts that you indicated you had an 09 Subaru Forester, is that correct? If so the wiring for the trailer lights and the battery charge line were prewired on my car at the factory - the connection is hidden under the panels at the rear of the car so its a simple plug and play install for the connection harness. Only wire that needed to be run from scratch on my car was the line for the electric brakes.

Edit to add: Trailer is a 2005 Scamp 16', Correct?? If so it should have a converter. If you have one and its not charging the battery when plugged in to your homes power, check the fuses in the converter, the problem can be as simple as a blown fuse.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Judi, I believe in your previous posts that you indicated you had an 09 Subaru Forester, is that correct? If so all the wiring for the trailer lights and the battery charge line are prewired on the car at the factory - the connection is hidden under the panels at the rear of the car so its a simple plug and play install for the connection harness. Only wire that will need to be run from scratch on the Forester is the one for the electric brakes.

Edit to add: Trailer is a 2005 Scamp 16', Correct?? If so it should have a converter. If you have one and its not charging the battery when plugged in to your homes power, check the fuses in the converter, the problem can be as simple as a blown fuse.
I'm not sure about 2009 but on my 2012 Forester only the lights were plug and play. The charge line and the brake wiring had to be added. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I'm not sure about 2009 but on my 2012 Forester only the lights were plug and play. The charge line and the brake wiring had to be added. Raz
Thanks Raz didnt realize that they may be different by year or model, just know my Outback was only missing the break line. In which case its best if the Op check with the party who installed the hitch to confirm it had a battery line or they added one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #13

Indiana
Registry
Thanks. Will get it worked out.

Tags
battery