Sort of fixed the lights- one problem, though - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Optional Alternative lights

Hi Bobbie,
I had similar problems with my trailer lights, and basically removed rust from sockets, redid splices with soder, dialectic grease and shrinkwrap, AND made sure grounds were to rust-free metal, especially the ground connection near the trailer plug.
However, as a 'plan B' back-up, in case of any future light problems on the road, I am going to get a magnetic trailer light kit from Harbor Freight. You pop the magnetic lights onto your rear bumper, run the wire assembly under or over the trailer, and plug into the tow vehicle. You mentioned this idea in a previous post, so it sounds like you've seen this product before. With one of their coupons, it's only $9.99. I'd check the specs on this product to see if the wiring is long enough for the length of the trailer. If that's no issue, this kit sounds like peace of mind to me.

Good luck,
Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Thanks, Fran, yes, I was thinking of that as a backup. Then it's there if the lights fail. I thought once I was done with a boat I'd be done with weird light problems! (I should have had those magnetic kind on the boat trailer.) But now that I figured out the switched wires problem I think that will make a big difference in brightness of the lights.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Replacement parts are available for the bulb sockets, that would give you new contacts with about a 4" or so piece of wire. With our trailer I replaced all the light wiring, and also installed tail/ turn/ stop lights on the rear bike rack, which gives me two sets of rear lights. Those bike rack lights are wired separate from the tail lights, the wire for them runs all the way up to the tongue where I made a plug setup where they can be plugged in separate from the other lights, and also a rear plug if I want to remove the rack.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #24

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I haven't seen replacement sockets, but the contacts are fine, anyway. In fact, I guess that's my clue that they've been replaced at some time (probably that's when the wiring got reversed.) Which means I should be able to reach the connections to reverse them back. But I really like the idea of a spare set of lights so will be making a trip to Harbor Freight.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote