Surge protection... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Geee... an $8 outlet tester would spot the problems with a miswired pedestal. I have one and use it every time I have power hook-ups. In more years than I can count I have found a few missing grounds, but never a miswired hot line. But then again I don't have an a/c unit, a microwave or a stereo system in my rig to worry about.

If I even think that there might be lightning, I just pull the plug out of the post and go onto battery.

I know that's sorta like 70's thinking, but my rig is a 70's rig.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #16
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
I have one, it was one of the build sheet options for my Escape 5.0TA, it's built in... not an add-on to the power bush. With all the electronics, expensive appliances and electronic readouts I now have... seemed like cheap insurance. I just plug in the trailer, go about hooking up the water/sewer (maybe) and a couple of minutes later go inside the trailer and check the readout for clean power. Looking for an E0 reading and I'm good to go!

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #17
Name: Marc
Trailer: Trillium
Still no direct answer on the original question....

Sent from my HTC One using Fiberglass RV mobile app
ironfist104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #18
Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
I have one like on Tractors1 site it plugs into power pole and cord.
I do have a GFCI testor and use before hookup to Scamp..... I was referring to the lightning storms passing through the area yesterday. Much less brown outs / power surge happen.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #19
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 13 2014
Michigan, Blue Water Area
I don't believe there is a surge protector out there that will protect you from a lightning strike. A bolt hit our 4 foot wide brick chimney one night, and blew it to smithereens. We lived in the suburbs in MI at the time. The brick shrapnel dented the garage door across the street, and 100 ft away! Everyone whose property bordered ours lost some appliances. Everything electrical that was plugged into the wall, including our surge protected computer was fried. Ours, and all our neighbors lost their in-ground sprinklers. The gas meter which sat near the chimney, was knocked off the gas pipe and natural gas was shooting up into the air 6" from the house. Thank God the phone worked. The gas company was there in a New York minute to cap it off. All told, damage to our home alone amounted to nearly $20K. Those were 1990 dollars.

Our Electronics and Commo guy told me that the surge protectors you buy for computers protect you from power surges and outages, but not lightning. I believe him.

TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #20
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by ironfist104 View Post
Still no direct answer on the original question....

Sent from my HTC One using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Actually post 11, 14 and 16 answered one of your original questions as to whether or not they use a surge protector.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote