Surge Protectors? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
....and that is why I added that I was not prepared to say that anything would have been fried even if I would not have had the suppresor in the line. It's "insurance".....and we all have different levels of tolerance for risk.
I'm certainly not saying I'm right and you're wrong, but for instance, you are more of a risk taker than I am in your choice of TV and TT. Like I say, we all look at risk and it's management differently.

Low voltage can be very damaging on air condioner units, so that is a major part of why I chose the surge protector I did. I think the OP has now seen a pretty good variety of well thought out responses, and hopefully that will help him decide on spending the money or not.

gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

I agree with you. Insurance is meant to protect against failure. I do understand that some people use it more than others.

Certainly fine with me. I was simply trying to let the poster know there's another view since mostly surpressor users would respond.

Being continually on the road the cost of our adventure is everyday and the choice of tow vehicle and RV is becoming even more important, if not a deciding factor, in our ability to travel.

This year we continually meet people, though they own RVs and many are full timers, have become 'stationary' RV owners because operating costs have become too high.

One reason I'm now considering a small diesel as a tow vehicle. One of my missions is to let people know possibilities for reducing costs.

Next year it is our goal to take a further step in that direction.

Safe travels

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Thank you for the varied opinions as this site is almost certain to attain.
I chose to order a surge protector as I tend to keep my major purchases for long periods of time. My last pop-up camper for 31 years and we have 5 vehicles with the newest being 11 years old and the oldest we bought 38 years ago. I will probably have this trailer for the rest of my "useful" life, so I figured I may as well buy one.
I guess my risk tolerance is diminishing as I age.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
One thing I found at a local hardware store is an in-line GFI unit that I use between the campground electric box and the Scamp.The cord from the box goes in to a Rubbermaid tote box,then hooked to the GFI,then the cord goes out to the Scamp.That way,everything should be waterproofed.I'll get the brand name of the GFI unit.I also use the tote box for all my electric cords,30 to 15 amp adapters,etc.I call it the "substation".

ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote