Surge Protectors? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Surge Protectors?

I have read more than once that many campground electrics have much to be desired and that the use of 30 amp surge protectors is strongly recommended.
I have to ask, are camp ground electrics really that bad? Are surge protectors widely used by other egg owners? Having always camped off grid with my pop-up, surge protectors are not part of my radar. So please tell me, should I invest in one of these or is this overkill?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #2

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I have a 34 year old trailer, and its electricity using appliances are manually operated, having no circuit board or computer processor control. I am not that concerned with dirty power. I do not use a surge protector.

New refrigerators (and water heaters?) have circuit boards that are more fragile under dirty power conditions.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you get one of those circuit testers for wiring you can get by with a surge/spike protector. with LilSnoozy you will not suffer from brown out damage like the units with built in ceiling a/c. One of these with the circuit tester is all you may need.
Technology Research Corp - Portable 30 amp GFCI Surge Guard with Shock Shield - 44740-004-012 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
Old 03-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I've had a motorhome with multiple controller boards, multiple TVs, computers, computer printers, and so on. We camped in it for 8 years averaging 7 months on the road and never had anything damaged, My view is thata surge protector adds a safety factor but is unnecessary.

In an additional four years of trailering, though the fridge and hot water heater do not have controller boards, there has never been any damage caused to computers, TV, wireless sytem,....

My experience....

My view is it's a nice extra but not worthy of an investment by me.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
For under $100.00 why wouldn't you get and use surge protection?
I promise if you end up needing one it will cost you more.
Even one single incident.
I guess it is like insurance but you only have to pay the premium after the protector dies while saving your other stuff.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #6

Florida
If I buy a surge surpressor (insurance), realizing this is Mayan 2012, I'll have to cancel either my meteor insurance or my gamma ray burst insurance.... just kidding.

One of my concerns is that in some measure new users become overwhelmed by the need for too large tow vehicles, surge suppressors, reverse osmosis filters and so on ... when the truth is that taking a little trailer to the road is so darn easy.

In my simple mind everything has a cost benefit ratio, it's sort of like should I have a large deductible or not.

Simply how much am I willing to pay to protect something that hasn't failed once in 12 years.

To put things in perspective, I never buy the extra insurance when I buy a piece of electronics.....

It's me.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #7

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I never buy insurance or an extended warranty either and I sell electronics.

I also service them though and see the ill effects of bad power every day.

I am just not willing to take a chance,especially when I sleep inside the Egg and the price is inexpensive peace of mind to me considering some of the things I have seen from bad voltage spikes.

Also my Trailer can be like a rolling electronics showroom,your mileage may vary!

Its me!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Or it could be an age thing. As I mature (get older) I do not want or wish to worry about things. I used to change my own oil, now I take the car to my dealer. I never bought extended warranties, now I find that for some extra $$ I can get piece of mind. The $$ certainly is not paying me interest and I'm not saving for tomorrow, as tomorrow has arrived. So while living in tomorrow I have piece of mind, contentment in a sort of way.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
RE: Surge Suppressors....
Cheapest insurance I have found is to never use the 15/20 amp outlets, always use the 30 amp outlet, with your own adaptor if necessary. The smaller outlets are often worn and/or damaged and a loose connection is usually more apt to create low voltage conditions and spikes. I also always use my polarity tester right at the post before connecting. In over 30 years I've yet to have a problem, but I have elected to not use park power outlets a few times.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
All the cg outlets are subject to surges/spikes by lightning or power failures, 15/20/30/50 amps. So only using the 30 amp does not prevent lightning spikes or power surges. Only by not connecting are you protected. A good argument for solar.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
RE: Good Points
My protection during lightning storms is to just pull out the plug and run on bettery.
Again, IMHO, loose shore plug connections are a greater source of problems.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd rather not be fooling with electrical outlets during lighting storms, the protector is there to protect you, just like your in house computer protection. So I leave everything plugged in and make sure my insurance is in effect
Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #13

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
On the trip I am on right now, I have had the TRC surge supressor trip on three seperate occasions. Once during a local thunderstorm, and twice at the last CG I stayed at. The CG where I was at last, was an older place. The power pedestal had screw in fuses it was so old. In the morning time, I would see 132V ( I have a plug in voltmeter that stays in a outlet all the time ), and then in the afternoon when a lot of folks in camp were running air conditioners, I would sometimes see voltage drop to 110 or so. I believe the two times it tripped there was once for overvoltage and once for brownout.
Now then, I'm not prepared to say that any damage would have occured had it not tripped. But I am like several others on here that have said, I'd rather have that extra bit of insurance that may protect some of the sensitive electronics on board. As stated, if it saves me just one time, then it was worth the couple hundred bucks spent.

Unrelated.....not FG related ....Jim ( cpaharley ) I had posted you a question about your Lance in another thread......does it have aluminum studs/rafters like a funfinder ? Thanks, george
My apologies to the FG folks !
Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #14

Florida
GMW Photos,

Did all, no make that any, of you're neighbors in that campground where you had three surpresor events have to replace their electronic equipment?

The reality is that practically everything is tolerant of line variations. The power line frequently loses a whole cycle, yet the world happily marches on.

Practically everything in a trailer except the AC and microwave are buffered by a DC power supply, 12 volt battery, and/or 12 volt converter that do add a level of protection.

Can a lightening strike take you out? Certainly but extremely rarely.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16