Tail light out on 2005 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

Name: WA0ITP
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Tail light out on 2005 13' Scamp

I just bought a 2005 13' Scamp and the RH tailight is out. It's a bad connection issue some where in the 12 volt lead, the ground is ok. It appears that this Scamp has no fuze or power panel. Has anyone chased the wiring out to see where the connections are routed?

TIA.

Terry WAĜITP
WA0ITP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA0ITP View Post
I just bought a 2005 13' Scamp and the RH tailight is out. It's a bad connection issue some where in the 12 volt lead, the ground is ok. It appears that this Scamp has no fuze or power panel. Has anyone chased the wiring out to see where the connections are routed?

TIA.

Terry WAĜITP
The tail light, brake lights, and running lights along with the back up lights go directly to the cord that plugs into your tow vehicle. All fuses and relays are contained in the tow.

What light are you talking about tail light or turn signal/brake light?

I had the same thing happen a couple years ago it was a relay in the Dodge Dakota Pick up that had failed (for the turn signal/brake light.)
Old 08-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #3

Name: WA0ITP
Iowa
Thank you for the reply. It's the tail light on the RH side. All other lights work properly. Only one tail light wire goes to the 7 way plug, so the Right and Left Tailights must be connectred together before the single wire reaches the plug. This is a 13' Scamp standard model and there don't appear to be fuzes. in the wire. or if there are I havent found them yet.
WA0ITP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA0ITP View Post
Thank you for the reply. It's the tail light on the RH side. All other lights work properly. Only one tail light wire goes to the 7 way plug, so the Right and Left Tailights must be connectred together before the single wire reaches the plug. This is a 13' Scamp standard model and there don't appear to be fuzes. in the wire. or if there are I havent found them yet.
There are no fuses in the lines going from the tow to the lights. There could be a problem with the connection to the negative side of the 12 volt system. The tail light fixtures are automotive where the chasis is used as a conductor. In our trailers a wire is attached to the steel plate. My guess is that wire is loose.

FYI fuse is F U S E not F U Z E.

AK7EE
Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #5

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I recently had a similar issue, turned out to be the tow vehicle. You can buy a small plug with LEDS to plug into your tow vehicle to test.
I had a leftover marker light, and used it to test, this allowed me to find the fault, as there was no visible issue.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Chuck Stillman (whose a commercial member here) helped us replace the tail lights on our son's 13 ft Scamp with these LED's Tail Lights LED 7 inch diameter Trailer Lights
They work great!

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, scamp