Tapping into DC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: Craig
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Delux
Delaware
Tapping into DC

I have ordered a 12vdc cigarette lighter style electrical connector with outlets to charge phone/tablet devices and a DC battery monitor. I am going to install this in my 17 foot Casita. Will someone tell me the best location to tap pwer from the Casita electrical system? My initial thinking is to attach the negative and and positive leads to the input to the converter from the battery. Is there any issue with using this connection location?
(Electrically). The battery compartment is very tight and I would prefer to avoid adding anything to it.
ccornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornell View Post
... Will someone tell me the best location to tap pwer from the Casita electrical system? ....
If it has a separate 12 volt fuse block that is the best place... add a fused circuit and choose wire and fuse rated for the socket.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #3

Name: Craig
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Delux
Delaware
Thank you. I think there is an extra circuit on the converter fuse block where I can tap off and fuse the circuit.
ccornell is offline   Reply With Quote