Testing electrical system - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Testing electrical system

Okay, I've been doing tons of cosmetic work on the '82 Scamp and am somewhat ashamed to admit we haven't checked out all things electrical yet. The trailer lights worked; we were sure to check that before we drove her home. So, do I just plug it in and see if things turn on? Just don't want anything to catch on fire or anything What steps do I need to take?
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
What items do you have in the Scamp that are AC and what are DC? I know you checked the fridge out. Did that work? What do you intend to add?
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #3

Georgia
Only thing I have at all are the two side lights.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #4

Georgia
Plan on adding additional lights and Fantastic Fan.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
Okay, I've been doing tons of cosmetic work on the '82 Scamp and am somewhat ashamed to admit we haven't checked out all things electrical yet. The trailer lights worked; we were sure to check that before we drove her home. So, do I just plug it in and see if things turn on? Just don't want anything to catch on fire or anything What steps do I need to take?
I'd buy spare fuses, check any breakers present, and go for it - plugging in makes for much less work than futzing with very long leads on a voltmeter.
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If all you have is two interior side lights then both should be 12v & run off the battery. If your battery is charged up then just turn them on & take it from there. If they don't work try checking the bulbs first.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

Georgia
So, we don't have a battery. Side lights only run on battery?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #8

Registry
Not necessarily all depends on what other equipment you have in the trailer and what a previous owner may have done to it in regards to electrical.

Hard to say without knowing what equipment and types of lights you actually have. If you have a convertor you should be able to plug in your 30 amp (or you may have 15 amp only) and the 12 volt lights should still work (but then again it comes done to what has or hasnt been done to the trailer over the years & if its been changed so that the two systems are independent). If no convertor then perhaps its all been changed to power only. In which case you will need to plug it in to get the lights to work.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Your trailer may draw it's power from the tow vehicle.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #10

Registry
If that's the case then the OP would indeed need a battery.
But with the limited info given it really is hard to say but as they are questioning if they should plug it in I'm assuming something in the trailer runs on 15amp or 30 amp as it probable wouldnt have an electrical cord if it didnt. Perhaps the OP could advise what they have other than just the 2 lights mentioned. Water pump? Fridge? Convertor? Or then again perhaps I missed a post outlining all that.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #11

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Can you take pics of what you have. Do you possibly have wiring for battery, but battery just isn't currently installed?
Look under the sink. Do you see a small electrical box? If so, there should be a large wire that runs to the AC plug that plugs into shorepower. Also, perhaps an AC plug next to it, where the frige plugs into. Plug into shorepower and use a volt meter to test all the electrical. Its a start anyway.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #12

Georgia
Yes, there is wiring for a battery and a fuse box under the sink. Most interested in checking shore power safely.