Thinking about a generator. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Wonder how Honda got that 'undeserved' reputation.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Wonder how Honda got that 'undeserved' reputation.
Like many products they were good in the beginning and then cheapened the product to increase their profit margin
I would suggest you read about the problems with running a honda generator in cold weather
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #43

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Like many products they were good in the beginning and then cheapened the product to increase their profit margin
I would suggest you read about the problems with running a honda generator in cold weather
🤔 Seems like warm weather is the concern here 😁
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #44

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
spot on, glenn & cliff. honda has their reputation because of the many positive reviews they receive. undeserved? hardly. mine hasn't had a hiccup since 2014, i'm full timing & use it frequently for the ac when boondocking. no problems whatsoever. i do my own maintenance & use it in cold temps as well without issue.anyone can have problems with any product when they don't follow instructions for it's use, don't do regular maintenance, etc, etc, etc
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #45

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
FWIW, over the years, we've owned (past and/or present) a Honda car, ATV, generator and garden cultivator. Not one complaint from me or my wife. I know I'm behind the times, but we recently stumbled upon a discount closeout of Subaru generators and lawnmowers - since discontinued. We had no clue that Subaru even made small engine equipment until they were already out of the business. They seem to have gotten good reviews, but I guess they just didn't sell enough units to make it worth their while.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #46

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
If you do add an hour meter, check to make sure it is made for a single cylinder engine. Some with the clock and tachometer are made for multi-cylinders.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #47

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
or this one is cute, you simply wrap the supplied wire 5 turns around the sparkplug wire, and that provides inductive power to run the meter, the meter is surface mount, so you just need to screw it to a panel on the generator, and don't need any space inside...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A43PKOE
I got a couple of these years back and mounted to my ATV and a boat motor. Not even two years later the internal battery went dead. They are still hanging to remind me that they are useless. Not sure if they have gotten better.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #48

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Still using my Harbor Freight Predator 2500 watt inverter generator.
So far the same number of trips to the repair shop as Honda- 0.
If it hasn't been run for a while you should follow the instructions an pull the starter rope through slowly several times for the fuel pump to get gas to the carb.
If you do that it starts easily every time.
Heavier, bigger, very slightly noisier (maybe not) but a lot cheaper.
Starts my inverter heat pump A/C easily (as any would really).
Hondas are great, but money
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #49

Name: george
Trailer: 1998 burro 17'
Texas
Had a Yamaha 2000 gen but it wouldn’t run the 13500 Coleman ac. I now have the champion 3100 that I leave in the bed of my truck. I purchased a 25 ft rv 30 amp extension cord to run from the burro to the generator. As a plus I can point the back of the truck away from the trailer to funnel some of the noise away
Attached Thumbnails
E3143257-2C90-4BC1-B626-253A25D8401C.jpg  
george w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #50

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Given this thread has been revived... I would suggest you consider a Champion Inverter generator. This product was unavailable when I bought my trailer, but I would choose it over a Honda or Yamaha, because it’s powerful, reliable and competitively priced. Champion offers several different models in their Inverter product line, and they seem to come with wheels. So you can select something that meets your needs.

It is “relatively” noisier than the Honda, but IMHO worth the trade off.

My only concern would be how best smaller trailers can transport the Champion generator. I made sure my Bigfoot could handle the extra rear weight (my current generator weighs 100 Lbs) and mounted it on a custom back porch.

Cabela’s & Home Depot seem to have the best prices I’ve seen for the Campion inverters. Being lazy, I’d probably splurge for a remote start.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Cha.../112438980.uts
Old 08-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #51

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Cheap generator

If you are not near anyone else, or if you just don’t care about your neighbors, go with the cheapest, noisiest generator you can find.

Otherwise stick with a Honda, Riobi, or Yamaha.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Colorado View Post
If you are not near anyone else, or if you just don’t care about your neighbors, go with the cheapest, noisiest generator you can find.

I’d change “cheapest” to “best value for your budget” And add “solidly reliable”.

And that is what I purchased 9 years ago and still have today: a well built generator which will start and run my older AC unit & microwave. And I am pleased with that purchase.

If I was in the market for a generator today, I’f go with an inverter that will meet my energy needs: AC & microwave.

I did a great deal of research and believe that Champion offers a solidly built, economically competitive line of generators.

I suggest that anyone reading this thread, who is looking to buy a generator, consider a Champion Inverter Generator. You may be pleasantly surprised with how they compare against a Yamaha or Honda.

Respectfully submitted.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #53

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Costco has a nice deal on a Champion dual fuel 3100 with typical long Costco warranty. It’s what I bought.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #54

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
It is “relatively” noisier than the Honda, but IMHO worth the trade off.
As one who does not use a genset camping, when having to be around them for me there is no trade off for using the quietest one available. I very much appreciate my fellow camper who keeps it as quiet as possible. I do understand that some folks need them.

If I was to have to use one, there would be no doubt it would be a Honda or Yamaha. I have a Yamaha 3000W inverter genset, which for its size is very quiet, but no way am I hauling it around campiing. I can barely load it in the truck by myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As one who does not use a genset camping, when having to be around them for me there is no trade off for using the quietest one available. I very much appreciate my fellow camper who keeps it as quiet as possible. I do understand that some folks need them.

If I was to have to use one, there would be no doubt it would be a Honda or Yamaha. I have a Yamaha 3000W inverter genset, which for its size is very quiet, but no way am I hauling it around campiing. I can barely load it in the truck by myself.
I respectfully disagree. Every decision we make regarding our trailers involve trade offs. I constantly balance technical limitations & requirements against my pocketbook & other considerations, such as transportability and, in this case, noise pollution. While important, noise should not outweigh all other needs. Judging from posts from purchasers of the Yamaha and Champion, noise considerations did not take precedent. Otherwise everyone would own a Honda.

Here is a link to an article which compares dbs produced by each generator:

https://quiethut.com/quiet-generator/https://

Per this article, the noise level for the Honda EU2200i is 40 dbs (whispering in a Library); the Yamaha is 48dbs (office background noise); and the Champion 3100 is 58 dbs (quite conversation).

The AC that came with my trailer requires 3100 Watts to start. It does not accept a start kit. In addition, I need that generator to power my microwave.

Technology evolves. However, at the time I bought my trailer, I could not find an inverter gen which could start my AC. Having just purchased the trailer along with: hitch equipment, the brake controller; unplanned repairs to the heater and electrical system, I was ... short of funds. Because I boondock on private property with few, if any other trailers in the area, I can move far enough away from “neighbors” to negate the noise from my generator. I also tricked out the trailer to conserve energy, added a second battery, and only run the generator long enough to charge my batteries. And so I opted for something which met my needs and reflected my style of camping.

Evenso, I will eventually get an inverter generator. I do want to be a good neighbor. Given the Inverter Gens currently on the market, could I live with a generator that could run my AC but produced “normal conversation” over one no louder than “whispering in a library”? Absolutely.

At this point I exit from this thread
Old 08-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #56

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Colorado View Post

The cheaper generators are not known for being repair friendly. Some cannot be repaired. We were going to purchase a used one when it would not start. Checked it out and found out repair parts are not available. So if you have to use and toss a cheap one why not buy a good one that is reliable, quiet, not as smelly, can be repaired easily and lighter weight in many cases.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #57

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I respectfully disagree. Every decision we make regarding our trailers involve trade offs. I constantly balance technical limitations & requirements against my pocketbook & other considerations, such as transportability and, in this case, noise pollution. While important, noise should not outweigh all other needs. Judging from posts from purchasers of the Yamaha and Champion, noise considerations did not take precedent. Otherwise everyone would own a Honda.

Here is a link to an article which compares dbs produced by each generator:

https://quiethut.com/quiet-generator/https://

Per this article, the noise level for the Honda EU2200i is 40 dbs (whispering in a Library); the Yamaha is 48dbs (office background noise); and the Champion 3100 is 58 dbs (quite conversation).

The AC that came with my trailer requires 3100 Watts to start. It does not accept a start kit. In addition, I need that generator to power my microwave.

Technology evolves. However, at the time I bought my trailer, I could not find an inverter gen which could start my AC. Having just purchased the trailer along with: hitch equipment, the brake controller; unplanned repairs to the heater and electrical system, I was ... short of funds. Because I boondock on private property with few, if any other trailers in the area, I can move far enough away from “neighbors” to negate the noise from my generator. I also tricked out the trailer to conserve energy, added a second battery, and only run the generator long enough to charge my batteries. And so I opted for something which met my needs and reflected my style of camping.

Evenso, I will eventually get an inverter generator. I do want to be a good neighbor. Given the Inverter Gens currently on the market, could I live with a generator that could run my AC but produced “normal conversation” over one no louder than “whispering in a library”? Absolutely.

At this point I exit from this thread
In some National Parks and State Parks in some states there is a maximum decibel level allowance. Cheap gens may not be allowed because of the noise factor. In many places you can only run your gen at certain times. So be a good neighbor at all times and keep it quiet. The reason the parks don't allow the loud noises is because of the animals as well as keeping it quiet for peoples enjoyment. That is why they have quiet hours. Also letting your vehicle idle is not allowed. We were in Glacier National Park in
July and these were the rules. Smoky generators and vehicle emissions also foul the air for all. This is why a lot of National Parks are no longer allowing people to drive through the parks but must use buses to transport you places.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #58

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A different view.

We bought a generator because we led a NL rally where people had CPAP machines. Since we suspected we might be boondocking we decided to buy a generator to ensure we could provide power if needed.

We bought a Honda 1000, a difficult purchase because the Honda dealer didn't have one in stock and said the right purchase was a Honda 2000. We ordered the 1000 from Amazon instead.

We're old and wanted the smallest generator that would do the job, one that Ginny could lift and start if need be.

After 3 years we've only used it once. It meets our requirements.

We do not have a huge air conditioner, only 5000 BTUs. We hardly ever use air anyway. We do not have a microwave and if we did it would be a 600 watt unit.

Our Pickleball friends call us minimalists, we're not but after 18 years of travel we do recognize we don't need much.

The Honda runs beautifully, sort of like my wife, easy to live with and quietly reliable.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #59

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My friend in our local model airplane club just bought a WEN 2000. That is THE quietest generator I've ever been around! It's the "Inverter" model. You can stand beside and EASILY carry on a normal conversation.

I've thought of buying the 1250 watt version for my fan and model battery charging needs at the field. They hvae the "ECO" mode so that the engine slows down if it's not needed.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:08 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
In some National Parks and State Parks in some states there is a maximum decibel level allowance. Cheap gens may not be allowed because of the noise factor. In many places you can only run your gen at certain times. So be a good neighbor at all times and keep it quiet. The reason the parks don't allow the loud noises is because of the animals as well as keeping it quiet for peoples enjoyment. That is why they have quiet hours. Also letting your vehicle idle is not allowed. We were in Glacier National Park in
July and these were the rules. Smoky generators and vehicle emissions also foul the air for all. This is why a lot of National Parks are no longer allowing people to drive through the parks but must use buses to transport you places.
Excellent point! I would never think to check out campgrounds before buying a Generator. So, I went to Naional Park website & looked up rules for noise levels:

36 CFR Section 2.12 Audio Disturbance
Under this section the following is prohibited: Operating motorized equipment or machinery that exceeds a noise level of 60 decibels measured on the A-weighted scale at 50 feet, or, if below that level, nevertheless makes noise that is unreasonable.

At 58 dbs, the Champion 3100 inverter is accepted at national parks. While it is not as quiet as a Honda or Yahama, it noise output is acceptable to the national park service.

My point remains that noise level is not the only factor when purchasing a generator. If that were so, no one should purchase anything except a Honda, which produces the lowest dbs. There are several new inverter generators on the market we should feel free to consider.

Tags
generator