Trailer Blinker Issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
Trailer Blinker Issue

Looking for some ideas here. Used the Scamp for the first time this season and did the customary light check before pulling out and the right side blinker and brake light do not work on the Scamp. TV has led indicators on the 7-way outlet and they are not firing there either. Left side works fine on the trailer and TV outlet. TV has all the proper lights.

The setup is a Curt converter box with T connectors to intercept the signal to the TV tail lights and independent power that runs straight to the battery. I checked the blinker signals in to the converter and it seems fine on both sides. Alternating 0-11.5 V with the blinkers. On the output side of the converter I see alternating 0-11 V for the left blinker and more like alternating 5-9 V on the right. The converter box has a ground wire direct to the body and it seems good. I’ve taken a look at the wiring and don’t see potential for a short and don’t see how a short would produce this behavior in any case. Could it just be a bad converter box?

One solution I thought of was if I replaced the TV and trailer bulbs with LEDs maybe the current would be low enough that that they would all run fine direct from the TV system without need for converter box. Otherwise, just replace converter box. I’m at a campground but have some basic tools and a Napa 2.6 miles away.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Bill
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Sure does sound like the converter is shot. What is the make and model? Age? Maybe call the manufacturer for troubleshooting tips or advice. You could maybe swap the left and rights to make sure the problem is not with the trailer.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #3

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
Solved

Got a converter and wired it up for just the right blinker and still no good. That caused me to investigate further and found a bad wire up under the bumper cover. Just rotted out from the inside! Never seen that before. Fixed.
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote