Trailer Electrical System Design - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #15

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Cooling airflow for the PD-4045 is Front-In Front-Out. In other words, the unit uses the air in the trailer to cool it and then discharges that heat back into the trailer. Here are a few additional recommendations from their Installation Instructions:

The PD4000 series POWER CONTROL CENTER should be installed horizontally (converter section to the left).

Unit is NOT ignition protected. Do not mount in the LP gas or the battery compartment.

The OEM should test the POWER CONTROL CENTER converter under full load conditions in its intended mounting location to
ensure proper ventilation. Failure to provide adequate ventilation will prevent the converter from supplying full output power.

The INTELI-POWER converters are not designed for zero clearance compartments.

The POWER CONTROL CENTER was not designed for wet or damp locations. Install in an interior / dry location.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #16

Name: Craig
Trailer: U-Haul
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Are the vents on the left front of the PD4045 both the in and out for the cooling air? Or does the cabinet where the unit is installed need vents? I read the installation & operation guide but do not see this mentioned.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
No, air flow is thru the case, in the front and out the back or vise versa. There are several vents at the back as well.

The instructions seem more oriented to OEM users rather than our group. Buit it does say that zero clearance isn't allowed.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #18

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Unless the unit in my trailer is unique (which is unlikely), the PD-4045 pulls air in the front and discharges it out front. The back of the cabinet is solid plastic on top, bottom, and both sides, except where wires pass through. You can feel the warm air exiting the cabinet in the front when the unit is charging at full load.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #19

California
I don't think that your trailer is unique in that sense, but the 2 year old PD-4045 in my Hunter is vented both front and back, suggesting a change in the PD design. If anyone has bought one recently, please chime in as to the venting.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
A question re how much venting is actually needed for the PD. My converter is located in a large rear hatch on the Scamp. No outside vents to that hatch. Only small openings into other inside areas of the trailer where the water and electrical runs through. Would I or should I need to add a larger vent somewhere on the rear bench hatch to the inside of the trailer to give it more ventilation or as the old converter was fine in that location would the new PD be fine there as is as well?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #21

California
It is near impossible for anyone on the site to make that evaluation other than via WAG...

When in doubt I opt for the safe route, in this case, venting. There are any number of small battery type vents available from most RV sources and, once installed they are assumed to be a part of the landscape and become invisible to most.

These are so innocuous and common that I have even used them to cover unwanted holes and/or damage. Adding a vent to your trailer is not at all like Maid Marion giving up her virtue.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Adding a vent to your trailer is not at all like Maid Marion giving up her virtue.
- thanks Bob - confess I am one of those really tries hard to keep the number of holes in the side of the trailer to a minimum. Was hoping someone with a Scamp had actually done the replacement already with the converter in question.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #23

California
Actually you are talking to some with a Scamp that did install a PD-4045.

When we bought out 2004 Scamp 13', the first thing that happened (the first time we plugged it in at home at that) was that the American (brand) converter went up in smoke and I installed a PD4045 there also.

I added two 3" louvered battery vents on the outside skin for the under seat area. Never leaked a drop, even when washing.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I added two 3" louvered battery vents on the outside skin for the under seat area. Never leaked a drop, even when washing.
Thanks Bob, would just putting a louvered vent at the end of bench to the inside of the trailer do the job or is outside the only way to go?
Old 10-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #25

California
Can't really guess, I just took the safest way out. I also put a 4 gallon water heater and the water pump under there so it was more than just the PD-4045.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14" Burro WB
Illinois
Does anyone remember what wires were wrong on their PD 4045? I am planning to install a 4045 in my burro and it will be arriving soon.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #27

California
There is a bundle of wires that come out the back for the 12VDC circuits. They each have number tags corresponding to the fuse that they are "supposed " to be tied to.

The problem was only that the wrong fuse number tag was put on certain wires. Worst case is that, when you wire, that the device will be connected to a different fuse than expected. I don't think it's a case of the same wires being wrong each time. After doing 7 of them I have only found 2 wire numbers switched.

With the power OFF and no fuses installed you can always check with a meter from the load side of the fuses to each wire. Set your meter on Beep and it should take about 5 minutes to check all of them. You can do this on the kitchen table, before installation.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #28

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14" Burro WB
Illinois
Thanks. Just wrong labeling is not a big deal. I know what you mean with the continuity tester. Thanks for the quick response. I gutted my Burro and am working on the new electrical layout.

Tags
electrical