Trailer Lights--Is this new? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
You mentioned that all you needed were stop and turn lights and I addressed that comment.

And.... there are those roads in CA that are posted as safety zones, that require lights on in daylight conditions.

And the Border Patrol is not authorized to enforce state vehicle code laws anyway.....

And drought? Friday night Riverside got hit with almost 1/2 inch of rain and we were almost flooded out in Joshua National Park that same night and would have been forced to drive at night.

And, as you may have guessed, I have a problem with the idea of weighing "chances of getting caught" against legal requirements anyway.....

Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
For that matter, the Vehicle code requires that all lights work, even if you aren't using them.
The DMV can be sort of funny on that one. When I first went to take my motorcycle endorsement test I had a stock Honda 175cc that I figured was a small pretty nimble bike perfect for handling the driving test course.

They would not let me take the test because one turn signal did not work. Said "if the light is there it has to function to take the test". Since that was out because of some bad contact in the wiring...

I rode home and came back with my 1966 Triumph road bike with sissy bar, king/queen seat, fat tank and jail house handle bars and No Turn signals, just headlight and tail light. That bike I was allowed to ride for the test by using arm signals.

Did not actually turn the handle bars once, just lean left, lean right. Spent 80% of the time with the clutch disengaged to keep from blasting out of the course.

So from my experience here in Michigan if light is there it has to work.

For those who don't know what "jail house" handle bars are. They are only about 8" wide bend straight up, then curve back toward the driver and down. Driving you look like you are holding onto the bars of a jail cell with your elbows against your ribs. Won't see them anymore because the don't steer worth a darn. And just like a bad parachute design the people that continue to use them sort of weed themselves out.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post

Typically the DOT only targets commercial vehicles. The fines are quite high now, I'm told. So I'm not taking any chances.

Canada may not be a problem, but each state down here is different.

Canada could be a problem if you assume that the DOT here only targets Commercial vehicles Very common in high accident areas (i.e. number of serious accidents involving boat and/or camping trailers has taken place in the past) summer months for them to target recreational tow vehicles. Boat trailers are a favourite
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #18

Name: Filbert
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
California
It goes to show you how spoiled we are in California when 1/2 inch of rain causes evacuations, and we worry about whether or not our trailer lights are working, while the rest of the country is under the threats of floods and tornadoes.

From Bob Miller: "And drought? Friday night Riverside got hit with almost 1/2 inch of rain and we were almost flooded out in Joshua National Park that same night and would have been forced to drive at night."
Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Yep, and that's why California Natives prefer "E" ticket ride earthquakes hands down to tornado season.

BTW: When Joe the "Professional" trucker runs into the back of a trailer that didn't have working tail lights, what's happening in South Pottsavania is of little interest.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #20

California
Bob, I just measured, and the center of my WORKING tail lights are 19 inches off the ground, so Joe the Professional Trucker who is probably talking on his cell phone in one hand, texting with the other, and munching on a ham sandwich couldn't care less if my lights are working or not. How can he see what's 19 inches off the ground when he's sitting 15 feet in the air, and has a 12 foot long hood in front of him?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Hey! The lights on my Firefly aren't much higher then that! Joe would rather rude to run me over.

Well, I guess the center mounted brake light is slightly higher, but there are older cars that don't have those. What stops Joe from running them over?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #22

California
Well I'm too old to die young, and if I'm towing the trailer and Joe does me in, at least my friends and family will know that I died with a smile on my face.

Tags
light, lights