Trojan Batteries SCS vs T-1275 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1990 13 ft Casita DLX #6
Colorado
Trojan Batteries SCS vs T-1275

I got a reply from Trojan regarding what battery I should get. After a couple of emails I decided on the T-1275. Trojan said they use the same plates as the T-105 and have 2X the cycle life of the SCS series batteries.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Brian,

We had two 105's and after some 14 years they were still working fine. We always kept them on, even when not using the rig, always topped them with distilled water and used a good converter with a desulphation cycle.

I frequently read about AMG batteries with 3-5 year life cycles. Our Trojans worked well for us.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Brian,

We had two 105's and after some 14 years they were still working fine. We always kept them on, even when not using the rig, always topped them with distilled water and used a good converter with a desulphation cycle.

I frequently read about AMG batteries with 3-5 year life cycles. Our Trojans worked well for us.
14 years and still going. That is impressive.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #4

Florida
Brian,

We sold it after 14 years. In our first year we managed to completely discharge the batteries by leaving the motorhome in storage for a few weeks un-powered. Once we recharged they were perfectly fine.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
I had a T1275 on my EggCamper. I sold the Egg earlier this year, but after 3 years, the 1275 was still going strong. It's spec'd at 150 amphours. Two T105s also equal 150 amphours, but you need nearly twice the space for the installation. I believe the comment about the plate size; it weighed 82#.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Never used their batteries B 4 but did visit the replica horse in Troy, Turkey.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
I had a T1275 on my EggCamper. I sold the Egg earlier this year, but after 3 years, the 1275 was still going strong. It's spec'd at 150 amphours. Two T105s also equal 150 amphours, but you need nearly twice the space for the installation. I believe the comment about the plate size; it weighed 82#.
I believe your comment about the equal amp hours is incorrect. My Google-Fu shows a T-105 to have 225 amp hours. Two of them would be 12V @ 225 AH vs. the T1275 12V @ 150 AH. A T-105 is $125 and a T1275 $186.11 at "AtBatt.com". Also while the batteries are pretty close in width and height the T1275 is just shy of 13" long while the T-105 is 10.3". Not quite twice as long for two T-105s but the T-105s would have half again the amp hours (225 vs. 150) for the additional 7.6" of installed length. The T1275 is an impressive battery and if only one battery is an option would be a nice choice. I am still going to find room for two T-105s or equivalent myself. Cost wise my math shows you get 50% more amp hours for 34% more money with two T-105s over one T1275.

Edit: I should also mention the weight as Ron pointed out above. Good batteries, with lots of plates, are by definition heavy. The T1275 is 82 pounds and a T-105 is 62 pounds so two T-105s while being half again the AH are also half again the weight of a T1275. There is no free lunch. I am making up some of the weight by going from two propane bottles to one. More electricity, less gas. I hope to generate my own electricity with solar panels but I can't make gas. Well, not gas I can use anyway.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #8

Florida
We only have one Propane tank and have never run out, We typically refill every 3 months.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #9

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Are there any of those batteries that weigh about 50 pounds or less? I simply could not lift the battery from my Scamp to bring it in for the winter, and it died a death...will have to replace it.

Or, how about a battery that comes with wheels and a lift?

Sorry, bad back really causes problems.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Are there any of those batteries that weigh about 50 pounds or less? I simply could not lift the battery from my Scamp to bring it in for the winter, and it died a death...will have to replace it.

Or, how about a battery that comes with wheels and a lift?

Sorry, bad back really causes problems.

Mon

A battery charger would help. Charged fully before storing helps. Once dead recharging might bring it back to life for several years.

I keep my battery on the trailer and a trickle charger on year around when the trailer isn't in use. Winter camping in the southwest is some of the best.

Other options if no power is available for charging while in a storage yard, a small solar panel will keep it charged.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #11

Registry
BACK to the OP

If you feel you need that much battery, maybe you should evaluate your usage. LED lights are a first step.
Heavy use of water pump another and furnace. Lots of television and DVD playing. You could try reducing all those uses plus what ever else you're using. After you're camping right?

FYI... We get along very nicely for over 150 night per year on a single 74 amp hour battery and a 65 Watt solar panel. No need for a lot of heavy batteries.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

Colorado
I agree with Byron all batteries will succumb to be under charged and I would try to find a way to charge in the trailer. That said the Trojan SCS 150 are 50 lb. though much less capacity.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
As to the weight of a battery. I wonder if one (or two) of the AGM batteries used in electric wheelchairs might be lighter (and smaller, might fit two). Probably pricey but might be worth it. You might investigate good takeouts at the places that service the chairs.

As to capacity (Byron), I don't know about the OP but I am planning on installing a 12V compressor refrigerator and also need a CPAP machine to sleep. I have a solar system planned also but don’t want to take any chances running out of juice. I am a little (only a little) offended by your insinuation that a desire for sufficient electrical capacity somehow is not “camping” by your definition. Would you also cast disparaging comments on those who have two propane bottles and run a propane refrigerator?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #14

Florida
What ever one's position on electricity, changing to LED's is a huge savings in power consumption, almost a factor of 10. People often leave their lights on for protracted periods and a single incandescent light can draw 2 amps. My TV draws less power than that.

As to the water pump, it certainly pulls a lot of current but it doesn't run for very long.

Our son has a CPAP machine and a 70 watt solar panel. To run his CPAP does require having two batteries.

There's a lot one can do to become more electrically efficient though some equipment does require a lot of power like a CPAP.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
As to the weight of a battery. I wonder if one (or two) of the AGM batteries used in electric wheelchairs might be lighter (and smaller, might fit two). Probably pricey but might be worth it. You might investigate good takeouts at the places that service the chairs.

As to capacity (Byron), I don't know about the OP but I am planning on installing a 12V compressor refrigerator and also need a CPAP machine to sleep. I have a solar system planned also but don’t want to take any chances running out of juice. I am a little (only a little) offended by your insinuation that a desire for sufficient electrical capacity somehow is not “camping” by your definition. Would you also cast disparaging comments on those who have two propane bottles and run a propane refrigerator?
If you wish to be offended that OK, be offended. I'll still report on my camping experiences and power usage when the subject comes up. I've often said there's several ways to do things one is add more and more and more capacity and the other is to reduce need or a combination of both.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #16

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Tim,
Oops, you're right: 225 ah, and it's nice to have that capacity, especially when you consider a 50% discharge.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #17

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Thanks for the info, lost. Dual batteries is on the to-do list for me. Why? Because I can. I don't want to worry about running out. Same reason I have 60 pounds of propane, and 40 gallons of water.

As for weight, a little tongue weight will be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote