Troubleshooting lights (my favorite: NOT.) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Okay, at the moment everything works. But I had to wiggle the new bulb a bit to get it to brighten up and initially it was dull through the top wire, then bright through the lower wire. So maybe it is a ground issue? Now it seems fine, I suppose as long as I don't go over bumpy ground! I retaped wires and a couple were very close to gone so that was probably also a problem. I think rewiring the whole thing may be in the trailer's future, though, as there are way too many splices.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #22

Registry
And amazingly all still working this morning! Honk if you see me on the road.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Glad to hear it's working. We have similar light issues every time we hook up our 26 year-old UHaul VT. It wouldn't be a trip without a light issue! Since your's improved by wiggling the socket/bulb, I would think it has to do with solid contact in the socket. Hope it stays put!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Earlier in this thread, you mentioned wanting a tester device - I'm currently dealing with tracing a turn signal problem (TV or Trailer?). On Amazon.com, I found a 7 pin round tester for under $10. You just plug it into the Vehicle-side connection - the device has a bunch of little lights labeled for RT, LT, 12v, backup, brakes, etc. I discovered that at least part of my problem is the tow vehicle signal for right turns only works in conjunction with my brakes.

I think this will be a handy device to keep in the trailer. At least it can help point in the right direction.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #25

Registry
Anne, I used to have a 4-pin connecter that had lights built in to test what was coming from the TV. (On the old car now.)

Anyway, trip was good except I hitched up this morning and now the LEFT side doesn't work at all. I hope that is just the bulb as all of it doesn't work. On the other hand, the friends who brought the behomoth motorhome on our trip spent half the weekend trying to figure out why their generator wasn't charging their battery. I think I'd rather have the lights flickering. (Though it did occur to me it would be nice if I had a Wizard's Caravan- like Harry Potter's tent, bigger inside than it looks from the outside!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #26

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
glad you got it going... for something so simple...electricity goes in,,,,electricity goes out...12 volt can be the devils own torture...i hate working on them,,,maybe my mind is actually simpler then 12 volt as my wife keeps saying....<_<
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
after you are done your trip, and have some time, try this:
1) Important- unplug from tow vehicle
2) remove lens covers
3) remove bulbs
3.5) make sure you unplugged from tow vehicle
4) clean inside of light sockets with plain steel wool, (not SOS or jets, you don't want soap pads)
5)blow out any debris from the cleaning, everything inside the socket including the brass pin that hits the bulb should now be shiny(er)
6)very gently squeeze the socket a little bit to make it tight on the bulb
7) check to verify you have the right bulb- one brass pin in the socket 1156, two Brass pins -1157
8)coat the bulb base (brass and lead tips) with di-electric grease and re-install
9)test them out

best of luck

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights