Turn Signals Driving Me Bonkers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #21

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
California
This might not sound reasonable but try putting in a heavy duty flasher in your jeep
Keelerbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelerbeach View Post
This might not sound reasonable but try putting in a heavy duty flasher in your jeep
I did that early on. It didn't help.

My signal lights are working now. It took a new trailer wiring harness to solve the problem. There was something amiss with the original harness that I purchased from etrailer.com. I replaced the original harness with a Napa brand harness from my local Napa Auto Parts store. I have one a correction to make, previously I mistakenly reported that the defective harness that I replaced was a Reese. That was incorrect. It the brand actually was a Curt harness.

To continue on that subject, I called etrailer.com regarding the defective harness that they had sold me. I spoke to a nice lady named Helen. She told me that to make a warranty claim, I had to ship the harness back to them on my dime and they would send it to Curt for testing. It is up to Curt to make the determination regarding the warranty return based on their testing. I mailed the Curt harness back yesterday. Will report the result. Regardless of the result, I am happy that the problem is solved with my Jeep. I will eat the cost of the Curt harness if I have must. The important part is that the we are heading out on another trip this weekend using the Jeep with the fully lighted Casita in tow. Yippee!
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelerbeach View Post

FYI O believe newer Chrysler products use a computer to flash the turn signals and activate relays to power the trailer light on and off. I doubt his Jeep has an old fashion resistance flasher.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #24

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
FYI O believe newer Chrysler products use a computer to flash the turn signals and activate relays to power the trailer light on and off. I doubt his Jeep has an old fashion resistance flasher.
My 97 Jeep is an OBD2 vehicle so that may be the case. It does have a flasher unit even though it might be different. The replacement flasher unit that I put in was bigger (about a 1.5 X 1.5 X 1.5 inch cube) with more connecting pins than the old style flashers.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
My 97 Jeep is an OBD2 vehicle so that may be the case. It does have a flasher unit even though it might be different. The replacement flasher unit that I put in was bigger (about a 1.5 X 1.5 X 1.5 inch cube) with more connecting pins than the old style flashers.

I don't know about 97s. My 98 CHevy Blazer used a flasher I believe. My 2005 Dodge Dakota uses the computer to activate relays. One difference is the Dakota has a full tow package, the Blazer did not. So my guess that it was sometime around 2000 that the change was made to most vehicles.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #26

California
Final update on the signal light dilemma. I received a refund from etrailer.com for the returned light harness adapter for the Jeep. The turn around was extremely fast. I only mailed the harness to them 2 days ago. It was my understanding that the harness would undergo testing before a refund was made. If they did test it, it all happened very quickly.

So the Jeep is now sending turn signals to the trailer thanks to the Napa harness. My pocketbook is whole on the deal. The only exception is the extra $15 bucks or over the cost of the Napa harness through a local brick and mortor store compared to the cost of the Curt from etrailer.

I am satisfied. etrailer.com treated me extremely well. I will be happy to give them my business in the future.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Thanks for the posting Mike.

Your noting that this has problem has been solved will probably reduce future posts of possible solutions to only about one a week, then gradually lessening over time!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #28

California
I think it is important to give vendors with whom we all deal with, credit where credit is due. Especially when we publicly discuss problems we have with a product that we purchased from them. etrailer.com was a stand up vendor in my view. That is what that last post was really about.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've always been satisfied with eTrailer purchases. Reasonable prices and they actually will ship by regular mail pretty cheap.

Several suppliers only offer Priority Mail or more expensive options. Like I need a towel bar by Priority Ship so the shipping costs more than the part?

Nah

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
i've only bought a few things from etrailer, but no complaints. when I had a problem with the Swagman bike rack, they quickly referred me to swagman support, who was amazingly helpful, trading emails and photos all afternoon, and problem was resolved by evening with the judicious application of a file on the sloppy weld burr that turned out to be the root cause.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin