Two stage LED's?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #15
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Eastern Ontario

Lee Valley is a great place. Living in Ottawa I have to be careful about going there, it can get expensive very quickly, particularly since I do a lot of wood working. I will be replacing the fluorescent light in our scamp with their Led's.

Sandy C

Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
There are 12V dimmers available for LED. They take more room than the normal RV type switch. The dimmers use PWM for dimming which is the only correct to dim LEDs.

Most of these dimmers come direct from China. I'll put together some links once I find some that will work well for RVs.

Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #17
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb 1156 = single stage, 1157 = two stage

Originally Posted by morgynm View Post
Is there such thing as a two stage LED 1156 bulb?
There are Two Stage Bulbs, but they're not 1156, they are 1157.

Starlights Revolution 1156 LED Replacement Light Bulb is a single stage (bright only) bulb. In the tail-light fixture, it is the Back-up bulb. The keys on each side of the base are aligned with each other. It is also the most common bulb used for interior lighting in recreational vehicles.

Starlights Revolution 1157 LED Replacement Light Bulb is a two stage (Bright and Dim) bulb. In the tail-light fixture, it is the Turn Signal & Brake lights (bright) AND the Running or Tail lights (Dim). The keys on each side of the base are offset to match the offset keyways in the light fixture. This type of interior light fixture is rarely seen.

My Fiber Stream has both types of light fixtures. There are four 1156 (on-off) lamps, and two 1157 (bright-off-dim) lamps, one of which is the bathroom light, and the other is next to the stove.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #18
Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
That makes sense. The 1157 has two contacts in the base.

1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #19
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Not to worry. LEDs can be turned on and off many millions of times. Unlike incandescent lights that heat and cool with each power up and power down.

If you want to believe otherwise look at your cable or DSL modem and watch the flashing lights (LEDs).
Or, have you noticed how some of the automobile LED taillights leave a "comet" trail on your retina when you quickly look away? They are full on or off many times per second. PWM regulation is so efficient because it does not burn the power (well, very little) to keep it from the light bulb the way something like a rheostat would.

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote