Updating TV to Scamp connections - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
Updating TV to Scamp connections

I am taking my 1997 Scamp 13 standard to Backus next week to have a new axle with brakes installed. A PO snipped off the original Scamp connector and spliced on a 4-pin which I am replacing with a 7-pin.
My Scamp owner manual has the attached picture which obviously does not match up to the RV Standard connector (center) that I intend to splice as a replacement for the existing 4-pin.
It seems to me I should ignore the picture from my manual?
I will be switching to a different TV, a Subaru Outback, and I understand I'll need to have a 7-pin set-up and brake controller installed in the TV since Subarus don't come with 7-pin.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
scamp connector.jpg   RV 7 way types.jpg  

nigeleccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Call Scamp right away and ask about the brake controller for your Subaru Outback, specifically is the Outback one of the ones that they suggest use the AuTowBrake controller and ask them why. If you do use the AuTowBrake, or the Tekonsha version of a "wireless" brake controller , then you dont need the brake signal line on the 7 pin but you do still need power for the brakes (and lights, and charge line if you want one). They can advise you.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I think you do indeed need the brake wire for the wireless brake controller. The wireless feature is for setting up the brake controller and then to engage the brake manually using the fob. I have a Subaru and got the autowbrake on my 2019 Scamp. They told me to wire up the 7 pin. The schematic Scamp provided was yellow center, and starting at 1:00 and going clockwise, looking into the trailer end: green, red, white, blue, brown, black. Green - tail/marker lights, brown - right turn/brake light, white- ground, blue - electric brakes, red - left turn/ brake light, black- positive (charge/hot line), yellow-auxiliary (back up light)

It works fine.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:06 PM   #4

Ohio
Gordon is right. Since the wireless controller is in the trailer the wire for the trailer brake does not come from the TV.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Just to be clear.. there are TWO connections were are talking about.

First is the brake ON signal to the controller, For a conventional controller it is obtained by tapping into the the brake pedal switch. It only indicates when the brake pedal on the tow vehicle is pressed and the tow vehicle brakes have been activated.

The second is the actual power supplied to the magnets that activates the trailer's brakes.

The former is very low current. The latter is much higher current.

The former is not needed with the wireless controller but the wireless controller(s) still need a 12 volt power supply for the brakes.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #6

Minnesota
Advice appreciated!

Thanks. I will discuss the controller issues with Scamp directly. I have not purchased an Outback yet. I want to have the electric brakes set up in a manner that will be adaptable to any TV - for me or a future owner.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Consider waiting for the 2020 Outback. They are upgrading the chassis and drivetrain choices for improved towing. Thanks to the chassis upgrades, the long-standing 200# tongue weight limit is gone. Two drivetrain choices will be offered, the current 2.5L with a 2700/270# rating and the 2.4T from the Ascent with a 3500/350# rating.

I haven’t heard if they will integrate trailer wiring into the factory wiring harness.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #8

Ohio
Just so you know, the autowbrake wireless controller design allows TVs with their own brake controllers to ‘take over’ the control of the electric brakes. When it senses the presence of another brake controller it disengages itself. There are a few videos explaining how it works on the autowbrake web site. (getautowbrake.com)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Wireless brake controllers are half as good at twice the price.
Also once done right the TV is set for any standard RV connection type trailer.
At least don't buy an ECHO.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #10

Minnesota
I wish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Consider waiting for the 2020 Outback. They are upgrading the chassis and drivetrain choices for improved towing. Thanks to the chassis upgrades, the long-standing 200# tongue weight limit is gone. Two drivetrain choices will be offered, the current 2.5L with a 2700/270# rating and the 2.4T from the Ascent with a 3500/350# rating.

I haven’t heard if they will integrate trailer wiring into the factory wiring harness.
I'll have to wait until at least 2024 to buy one - when they are in my price range!
Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #11

Name: Chris
MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeleccleston View Post
I am taking my 1997 Scamp 13 standard to Backus next week to have a new axle with brakes installed. A PO snipped off the original Scamp connector and spliced on a 4-pin which I am replacing with a 7-pin.
My Scamp owner manual has the attached picture which obviously does not match up to the RV Standard connector (center) that I intend to splice as a replacement for the existing 4-pin.
It seems to me I should ignore the picture from my manual?
I will be switching to a different TV, a Subaru Outback, and I understand I'll need to have a 7-pin set-up and brake controller installed in the TV since Subarus don't come with 7-pin.
Thanks!
Curious what Backus quoted you for a new Axle Install?
XBeatzX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #12

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBeatzX View Post
Curious what Backus quoted you for a new Axle Install?
I paid $455 axle, $380 labor included welding bracket

Tags
scamp