using a solar charger to regulate battery? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #29

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Orlen, what do you feel is the advantage of the Samlex over a common PD inverter? The cost isn't much different, so is it just that you prefer the slow, low-heat charging? Or is there more to it?

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
For the typical Group 24/27 battery, a 10 gauge charge line should fully charge the battery in a few hours as long as nothing is on (like the fridge) in the trailer. Raz
In my admittedly limited (so far) experience my F-150 just does keep up with running the TF130 fridge while underway. I have not traveled more than 3 or so hours yet though but am OK (not really happy) with just breaking even getting to a destination fully charged if I left that way to begin with. I intend to install solar soon (this year) and since most roads are pretty sunny I should get my charging done that way without depending on the Ford.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #31
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
In my admittedly limited (so far) experience my F-150 just does keep up with running the TF130 fridge while underway. I have not traveled more than 3 or so hours yet though but am OK (not really happy) with just breaking even getting to a destination fully charged if I left that way to begin with. I intend to install solar soon (this year) and since most roads are pretty sunny I should get my charging done that way without depending on the Ford.
There are 4 variables: 1) alternator capacity. 2) total charge line circuit resistance. That's the total resistance between the two positive terminals added to the total resistance between the two negative terminals. 3. State of charge of the trailer battery. 4). Load on the trailer battery. The most favorable scenario to a fully charged trailer battery is maximizing 1 and 3 while minimizing 2 and 4. Everyone's situation is different. For some folks a 14 gauge charge line will work fine while for others no matter how large they make the charge line their battery will never charge. Like using a garden hose to fill a bucket with a 3 inch hole. Raz

Edit- Tim, if your battery is charged when you arrive at your destination it sounds to me your system is working fine.

Tags
battery, solar