Venting batteries - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Venting batteries

I've ordered a metal trailer tongue box (https://www.etrailer.com/Toolbox/MaxxTow/MT80350.html) to hold my batteries. (Tip: they're really cheap now: 65 dollars). It seems like it's water tight so I assume I need to add a vent to it to keep it safe. How much vents do I need? I've ordered two of these: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...RoCQlgQAvD_BwE. Is that enough/too much?
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
One of those near the top would be overkill.
In fact, you could simply cut small section of the seal from each end of the box and you would have plenty of vent especially for an outside box.
You could also consider drilling a couple of holes around the top of the box under the lip.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroen View Post
I've ordered a metal trailer tongue box (https://www.etrailer.com/Toolbox/MaxxTow/MT80350.html) to hold my batteries. (Tip: they're really cheap now: 65 dollars). It seems like it's water tight so I assume I need to add a vent to it to keep it safe. How much vents do I need? I've ordered two of these: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...RoCQlgQAvD_BwE. Is that enough/too much?
I ran out and snagged one of these Today as they seemed like a pretty good deal for the money and just a caution,they are pretty thin skinned.
I am not sure I would place a battery on there much less multiples without reinforcing the floor of the box somehow first.

I will either run Strut under the floor or plywood or thick High TechPoly material(cutting board)inside on the floor but I am a little afraid that without this the batteries may find their way to the ground in some time?

Let me know what you think when you get yours.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
battery cover

I use the black battery cover its vented and its mounted outside behind my propane tank.

cheap and works!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I believe you will want a vent at the high point in the box for the lighter-than-air hydrogen to escape, and a vent at the low spot for an air inlet and to drain water. They do not have to be very big. I am not aware of any engineering studies or standards on the subject but I'll bet they are out there somewhere.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #6

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Mine came in today. A few small scratches but not bad. I like it a lot for the price, but I will put down some 3/4" ply at the bottom before I store a battery in it.

It's great to store my 30amp cord, and spare propane/butane canisters for cooking and the Mr. Heater. I don't use a large tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Let me know what you think when you get yours.
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote