VHB Tape - Brick & Mortar Store that has it in stock in SE USA? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #15
Commercial Member
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
The biggest issue with taping to an RV is that you aren't taping to fiberglass - you're taping to a thin gelcoat on the fiberglass - is preparation of the surfaces. If you don't follow the 3M specs to the letter AND allow sufficient cure time (usually 72 hours for the industrial tapes) before applying force to the tape it is highly likely it won't meet the specs stated in the long run. My mounting rails are epoxied to the trailer by the manufacturer, but they have the same issues - a couple of panels (out of 400+ installed) have blown off, taking the gel coat with along in one case. Their solution is to bolt a piece of square aluminum tubing in front of the panel to break up the airflow getting underneath the panel, basically an air dam like you sometimes see on the roof of tractor-trailers for streamlining. I'm using my own air dams - mounted with 3M RP45 (20 lb peel strength per square inch) in a double row on 5 inch segments for a total peel of 100 pounds per segment. A minimal gap between the segments lets the installed grouping follow the slight curve of the roofline.
Attached Thumbnails
air3.jpg   air2.jpg  

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:17 AM   #16
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post

Hope the panels stay on as long as you need them to. With all the opinions about VHB tape I've gotten, I'd guess the challenge will be removal.

I still haven't done the job on mine, but have the tape, panel, wiring, etc., ready.

The Scotch "Extreme" tape (VHB tape in a consumer package, mentioned previously) is Part #414, UPC 051141910840, $7.99 for a 1" x 60" roll. Good for other items, But it's probably a bit thin for the solar panel. mounting.

Amazon.com : Scotch Permanent Outdoor Mounting Tape, 1 Inch x 450 Inches (4011-LONG) : Adhesive Tapes : Office Products

We've used this tape for a number of years to hold two 40 watt solar panels to the roof of our trailer. We travel for almost 8 months of year and have been in every kind of climate you can imagine, in all kinds of weather, When not towing they sit outside in the sun for the other four months. Though this is a very low cost product those panels have never moved at all, not an edge lifted.

I have just replaced those two panels with a 100 watt panel using the same tape. I had to remove the old panels and was able to do it but not easily. This tape is extremely sticky, actually shockingly so, particularly so because one surface is fiberglass and the other is plastic (I think ABS}.

I also use this material to hold some of Charlie's plastic creations to the walls of the Scamp, One application is to hold a box to the bathroom wall of our Scamp; it holds meds. The surface is painted fiberglass mat, far from smooth. It's been there for 3 years.

It is designed for outside application and has worked well for us.

I just mounted our new panel. It can be seen under Modifications in Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16/

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote