What are the Benefits of Honda Companion as a 2nd Inverter? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Escape
New York
What are the Benefits of Honda Companion as a 2nd Inverter?

Responses to my previous question of 1 larger vs. 2 smaller convinced me to go the 2 inverter route. With that decision comes a second - What are the benefits, beyond the 30A plug, of purchasing a Honda Companion as the second inverter?
AndyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
Responses to my previous question of 1 larger vs. 2 smaller convinced me to go the 2 inverter route. With that decision comes a second - What are the benefits, beyond the 30A plug, of purchasing a Honda Companion as the second inverter?
It is the only way to get 20 or 30 amps from the system. The outlets are limited to 15 amps on the non-companion and on the companion when not running parallel.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Quality is economy.
Durability
Myriad of parts stocking dealers
Accurate performance rating
Easy to Start
Easy on fuel
Last a long time
Quiet
Good looking
Good warranty( at least they used to have)
I bought a 1300 watt unit in 1984. It still starts and runs.
Iowa
dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
First off Iowa Dave's list is good. Hello Dave.

I might add that while you can choose to reach 20 or 30 amps, combined, you can also choose not to combine, something impossible to do with a bigger single unit.

You also can reduce noise when leaving one off.

The individual units may be easier to handle than a big unit. A benefit, but do secure them!

Dave said one unit has lasted since 1984. Separate units provide you a plan B, and may save wear on one.

Last of all, in an emergency, you can rent the 2nd one to a neighbor for $500/day. Nice.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Best warranty anywhere is to buy a generator at Costco with a Costco credit card. No Honda’s unfortunately.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I think the OPs question is what are the advantages to a Companion as the second gen over just another regular 2000i. If you want the 30amp plug built in, which IS NOT the RV 30 amp plug anyway, than I see an advantage to the Companion. Personally I think a second regular 2000i with the appropriate parallel cords/box set up with a 30 amp RV receptacle would be preferable. I do have a 2000i, but not a Companion so somebody that actually owns the setup may have a better view. Oh, the Companion is more money as well, that could be spent toward the parallel rig.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Thank you for making the distinction about the Companion model from Honda.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #8

Name: Andy
Trailer: Escape
New York
Well, I just purchased the Companion. I'll make an adapter to go from the 30A twistlock on the companion to the RV style plug on the shore power cord for my trailer. I decided it was worth having a 30A breaker on the inverter side. The supplier, a construction tools dealer, sold me both the Companion and regular 2200 Honda at the same price, saving about $100. Next week is the first trip with my new to me Escape and will be my first opportunity to see how well the inverters work. Based on everything I've learned here, I'm confident that I'll be in good shape.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful advice.
AndyF is offline   Reply With Quote