What are your favorite electrical features ... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Solar charging! Vent fan and LED light bulbs would top my list. Followed by 12v plug for charging. Currently I can charge phone or laptop in car.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
WHat's the purpose of a battery disconnect?
So when my trailer sits for a few weeks (months?) at a time the parasitic loads of gas/CO detectors, keeping fridge circuit boards etc "alive; don't run the battery run down and kill it. What I do now is just pull connections off one terminal, but a straightforward disconnect switch is a great plan. And I even have one (from a race car - they are cheap and reliable as the sun, weatherproof and easy to use) but I can never seem to find any "tuits" that are round.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #17

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
Donna.!!!..no use camping if you Don't have coffee,might as well just stay home.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411 View Post
All,

As part of my redo, I'm building a list of desirable electrical features in an egg.
As an example:
* interior switch for the "patio" light
* Main battery cut off
* 12 volt external outlet
* cabinet light with automatic on/off switch
... and so on

What are your favorite electrical features?
Large LED warning light for the shower sump (Scamp), 400W tru-sine inverter. extra porch light at the tongue and at the port side for hook-ups. Several 12V outlets, including one inside the door but outside the screen. LED tail lights up high for obvious reasons.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #19

Virginia
actually I HATE the door light ---turn it on---it blinds you---I want something Nice---add a orange light (running) near (under the door) light the ground--or if you have a step-light it-.bugs are NOT attracted to a orange light.surely you can find the door lock.I'm thinking about a Single LED near the door handle.some older Chrysler products had them on front fenders (turn signal).
sparky1.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Forgot to say

A light to announce that the water pump is turned on. Maybe with one of those I can stop forgetting to turn it off when towing.

(yes, it's on my checklist, but sans light....)

AND another light to say that the water HEATER is on as well
Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #21

Virginia
some have that Lighted switch---my cassie doesn't,, but Radio shack sell them---and if your's had a lighted, they Have the Bulbs for them.
sparky1.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Large led warning light for the shower sump (Scamp), .
Gezzz Floyd isnt the fact your feet are getting wet a good enough warning to you????
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #23

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Gezzz Floyd isnt the fact your feet are getting wet a good enough warning to you????
The light for the shower pump is on the bulkhead next to the microwave, to remind me to shut it off after a shower. It can only be seen when outside the head...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0058.JPG   Pic014.JPG  

Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
The light for the shower pump is on the bulkhead next to the microwave, to remind me to shut it off after a shower. It can only be seen when outside the head...
That's interesting! Did you add the light? as mine does not have a light and the switch is on the bulkhead in the bathroom. When the pump is on there is no way you could forget to turn it off as it is very loud! What brand of pump do you have?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
That's interesting! Did you add the light? as mine does not have a light and the switch is on the bulkhead in the bathroom. When the pump is on there is no way you could forget to turn it off as it is very loud! What brand of pump do you have?
I added the light. The back of the switch is in the closet behind the light and is easy to access. Both the shower pump and the freshwater pump are Scamp factory issue Shurflo brand. If we were not running anything else,like A/C, television, stereo, and the ambient noise was low, we could hear ours as well.

Hearing can be selective as well,I have nine mostly antique face wound clocks running in my house. That which is, to visitors, a cacophony on the hour, is often missed by those who are enured to the sound, or even those enamored with the clocks and determined to listen!
I don't think the pumps are inherently noisy, rather I think they must induce a vibration into the structure around them to produce significant noise. Maybe your pump could be as quiet as a mouse pad by simply mounting one under the pump... but then you might need to add the light!

I plan to change the switch on the freshwater pump to one with a built-in LED to prevent accidently leaving it on, since it shuts off under pressure and there is no need to assume that unnecessary wear or risk in the event of a leak.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Both the shower pump and the freshwater pump are Scamp factory issue Shurflo brand. If we were not running anything else,like A/C, television, stereo, and the ambient noise was low, we could hear ours as well.

<cut>
I plan to change the switch on the freshwater pump to one with a built-in LED to prevent accidently leaving it on, since it shuts off under pressure and there is no need to assume that unnecessary wear or risk in the event of a leak.
Thanks Floyd - I am actually considering switching out my pumps for newer models as I thought they may not be as loud & as mine are the originals they may be getting close to the end of their shelf life. Rather not have them fail while out on the road.

Agree the fresh water pump is an issue as it only makes a sound when its first turned on and after that only when I run water. So its an easy one to forget about it & as its located under the back seat area the sound is somewhat buffered. The shower pump on mine on the other hand is much louder and it seems to run on and not shut down even when there doesn't appear to be any water left in the shower area - I tend to shut it off manually before leaving the shower so I am not sure if I was to leave it running if it would ever stop pumping or not, I have never left it running as when I use the shower in the trailer it is usually because I am camping in a location without power and I dont want to run the battery down more than necessary using the pump. Now you have me thinking that I should test it at home one day to see if it will actually stop pumping at some point on its own.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #27

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
I have a few electrical features I like: two batteries with shut-offs, LED llighting, stereo/TV, Speakon 12v outlets, heated towel warmer, true sine-wave inverter, shutoff switch for solar panel , etc.

I also wired the incoming AC with a shut off switch after an always-on outlet. That way I can have lights, etc. while safely working on the wiring. The battery shutoffs do not shut off the stereo (keeping the memory settings intact).

My favorite quirky mod is the set of redundant pushbuttons next to the bed which control the heating systems, one degree at a time (hacked into the digital thermostats).

After all that, the most fundamental device which makes things possible is the Xantrex Link 10 battery meter. Makes things electrical clear and takes anxiety out of boondocking and such.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #28

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Floyd - I am actually considering switching out my pumps for newer models as I thought they may not be as loud & as mine are the originals they may be getting close to the end of their shelf life. Rather not have them fail while out on the road.

Agree the fresh water pump is an issue as it only makes a sound when its first turned on and after that only when I run water. So its an easy one to forget about it & as its located under the back seat area the sound is somewhat buffered. The shower pump on mine on the other hand is much louder and it seems to run on and not shut down even when there doesn't appear to be any water left in the shower area - I tend to shut it off manually before leaving the shower so I am not sure if I was to leave it running if it would ever stop pumping or not, I have never left it running as when I use the shower in the trailer it is usually because I am camping in a location without power and I dont want to run the battery down more than necessary using the pump. Now you have me thinking that I should test it at home one day to see if it will actually stop pumping at some point on its own.
The shower pump , pumps through an open line to the gray water tank, it will not pressure-up the line and will run (wet or dry) as long as the switch is on and the battery/converter supplies power.

Tags
electrical