What are your favorite electrical features ... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #29
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
My favourite electrical changes would be the addition of the AM100 solar panel in 2005, change over to LED lights a year or so later (a mix of bright white, warm white, and amber), and the addition of two more batteries to a total of three. I have also added a rear backup camera which will be changed out to a night vision one, a security camera near the door, and additional inside and outside 120V and 12VDC outlets. Sitting in the shop is another 100W solar panel to be mounted to act as a window awning when deployed and a small vertical wind generator to be used when I am setup for an extended period.
One of these days I'll get the small solar battery tender attached to the suntracker installed. Meanwhile they are nestled down in their boxes on the work bench.

HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Some of my favorites came as options when I purchased the Escape 17. I have a 95 watt solar panel & LED lighting, as well as dual 6V batteries, and the electric option for the hot water heater.

I did do some additions & modifications - My old eyes that like to read small print paperback books convinced me to change out the LED fixtures over the bed & front dinette to dual LED Fixtures. Twice the light at the push of a switch.

I completely agree with Donna on Coffee. I really like drip coffee, and although I know there are gas stove versions, I opted to add a 1000W sine wave inverter. I pretend it is for anything I might want to use it for but it is really there to make one pot of coffee in the mornings I don't have hookups.

I've also added some receptacles, both AC & 12V to the places I found made more sense than I planned them for when I had the trailer built.

I already had a battery disconnect switch installed by Escape, however I added a much larger one (200 amp) for the inverter.

I added some LED lighting strips, one outside along the awning & short lengths in each overhead cabinet. A page describing these and some other modifications is here.

If you are not into cell phone & internet connections, you can skip this:
Because I maintain a travel & RV web page & daily updates to a blog & travel page on my site, I wanted dependable internet connections on the road. On top of that I am really addicted to my Oswego NPR station, WRVO. Since they have an app that lets me listen to it anywhere I have the internet, that's even more reason for good connections.

I have a Wilson Sleek in my RAV4 that boosts the signal to my AT&T iPhone, and a combination of a Wilson Trucker/RV antenna & their Vehicle Booster Kit in the trailer. The booster kit has an amp, exterior & interior antenna. If you are within 5'-7' of the internal antenna, you have a boosted signal on most cell phones & 3G data.

I use Millenicom USB modem - while no longer advertised, I have a 20GB per month 3G connection no contract through the Verizon network for $60.00 per month, including fees & taxes. The USB modem is plugged into a WiFi Ranger router which provides a local network around the trailer & tow vehicle that gets an internet connection from either the modem or a campground WiFi. You choose which ever is best. The signal is strong enough that if I don't have an AT&T signal while driving, I can use theWiFi signal from the router & cell modem (everything is 12V powered).

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #31
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia

Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
WHat's the purpose of a battery disconnect?
I use an inline fuse holder (looks like the one in the picture below) as a battery cut off switch, attached right at the battery positive terminal. That way I can cut off all the power from the battery to every circuit in the trailer without wondering if I have missed anything, by pulling the fuse. In the trailer I have a fused circuit box for my 4 Ė 12V circuits, but no master switch on that. This inline fuse operating as a master switch is quite convenient when I am working on stuff. It is also small and relatively weatherproof, so it fits into the battery box without any trouble, unlike an actual master switch that I was going to use for the purpose. I also like having yet another fuse on my circuitry just in case I get an unexpected short circuit somewhere.

Rick G
Attached Thumbnails
fuse holder.jpg  

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote