What can I run and not run on my home electricity? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Thanks to all for the great feedback. That's why we love this site.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post

And my second question is, is there anything else on the camper that I should not try and run when plugged into the home outlet?

The main thing that I would want to do when plugged into the home outlet would be to cool the fridge down before heading out on a trip. ...
The fridge is no problem. In fact unless you run multiple things at the same time, the A/C is probably your only real concern.

What I would suggest depends on the rating of the outlet you are planning to use.

IF 15 AMP: I would buy a Kill-A-Watt and use it to monitor the load. Plug it into your outlet, then plug the 30f-15m adapter into the Kill-A-Watt, and plug the 30 amp shore cord into the adapter. You can turn things on one at a time and make a note of the amp draw. Then add together the draw of whatever you want to run and make sure it adds up to less than 15 before turning them on. In fact, if it were me, I would keep the load below 12-13 amps as a safety margin since the Kill-A-Watt and your outlet are only rated to handle 15 amps. Don't forget that your converter is normally on all the time and it will add to the load.

I would not use roof A/C on a 15 amp circuit but many people do. Most roof A/C units call for a 20 amp circuit (breaker and wiring). Scamps had 15 amp circuits in the past for A/C but now installs 20 amp breakers for roof A/C as suggested by the manufacturer. That should tell you something. Even roof air will show less than a 15 amp draw when it is running but the reading that you see does not show the surge current.

IF 20 AMP: I would find a 30f to 20m amp RV adapter*. They are not as common but can be found on Amazon. Using an adapter rated at 20 with a 20 amp circuit will give you a safe 20 amps to work with. I do it this way and I do run my roof air from it, however when the A/C is on (using the 20 amp circuit) then everything else in the camper is off except maybe some LED lights. This includes the converter - I flip the breaker for it off.

Do not use the 15 amp Kill-A-Watt unless you are very careful to not exceed 15 amps (preferably less). Also note the the adapter will not plug into 15 amp outlets, so carry a 30f to 15m adapter also.

If 30 AMP: If you are lucky enough to have (or get) a 30 amp RV outlet at your home then it is the same as being at camp with 30 amps.. but having an electrician put in a 30 amp circuit will be expensive.

* Note that the Amazon listing says Generator adapter in error.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 16 Ft layout 6
Wisconsin
Here is a chart for the length and wire gauge for using home power to your trailer. Hope it helps some people. Voltage Drop Table
Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #18

Tennessee
OK Gordon, if you don't have anything to add to the subject, why are you chiming in?
Kidding, that is some great information and I really appreciate it. I just checked the breaker for that outlet, and it is a 20 amp, so I do have a little breathing room
Old 06-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
... I just checked the breaker for that outlet, and it is a 20 amp, so I do have a little breathing room
Thats a good thing! My house is all 15 amp outlets except for one in the garage for a central vac... it had to be 20. So I just unplug the vacuum when I want to use A/C on the Scamp.

Be sure the outlet itself is 20 amp and not just the breaker. If the outlet looks like this

with the T-shaped slot, then I would sure spend the extra money for a 30 to 20 amp adapter for use with that outlet. It is cheap piece of mind.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #20

Tennessee
OK, my outlet is the 15 amp, so I would need to change that out?
Old 06-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #21

North Carolina
Quote:
OK, my outlet is the 15 amp, so I would need to change that out?
Unfortunately it is not quite that simple. Typically the wire used would be 12 gauge for 20 amps and 14 for 15 amps but even if you verified that 12 gauge was used there is more to consider. Generally, I was talking about a dedicated 20 amp outlet (such as the one for my central vac). Of course if there is something else on the same circuit and you are drawing 20 amps for your camper, then you should expect that to overload the circuit. There are a few other issues to consider also but the bottom line is, I would stick with the 15 amp plan. If you do want to get a 20 amp outlet, get a licensed electrician to at least look at it. Improperly wiring your house can lead to a fire.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #22
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
If you do want to get a 20 amp outlet, get a licensed electrician to at least look at it. Improperly wiring your house can lead to a fire.
Good advice.