What size replacement converter? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Yep, and that's a fair price. But I suggest that you use you Lil Bigfoot for a trip or two before making that jump. As long as you can charge off of the TV you should be ok, and a stand alone battery charger is less than $30 to use when you have shore power.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:11 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
I agree with Bob, take it out and use it while before you do any mods or what I would call the foo foo stuff. Find out how you are really going to use it and what you need to make it conform to your wants/needs and then make any changes. The only thing before using it is safety items......the rest is sparkle for the mind. My wife decorated the house but I only care that the bones are good .

Old 08-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #17

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
shake down cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I agree with Bob, take it out and use it while before you do any mods or what I would call the foo foo stuff. Find out how you are really going to use it and what you need to make it conform to your wants/needs and then make any changes. The only thing before using it is safety items......the rest is sparkle for the mind. My wife decorated the house but I only care that the bones are good .
Of course this is good advice. My hope was to do several short overnights close by before taking the big trip on Labor day, so we could iron out some wrinkles. But have been waiting two weeks for draw bar to arrive, and time is getting short.

So, have been gnashing teeth at night trying to anticipate issues that might arise over a long weekend with no hookups or improvements -- I do apologize for peppering this board with some of my anxieties.

LP
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Why don't you just charge up the battery with a battery charger and take a short trip using the van you got it home with???
Old 08-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #19

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
short trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Why don't you just charge up the battery with a battery charger and take a short trip using the van you got it home with???
I maybe attempting to do too much on my own, in trying not to over-tax my hubby. He still works around 70 hours a week, gets up at 3 in the morning, and is now *79* years old. And TODAY he's in having chemo.

I have to say he's an iron man, not kidding. But if he's a bit run down on the weekend, I hate to push him right now to get out there and unhook the battery so I can take it in, and I'm a *bit* nervous to attempt that myself.

Yesterday, because the trailer was a bit too close to the fence and made frequent access somewhat difficult, I filled the water tank (to lessen tongue weight) and re-orientated it using our boat trailer dolly. It came around sideways with just my weight on the dolly. Then I used left-over roofing paper, unrolled it around the trailer so we were no longer walking through gravel back and forth to get in the thing.

He was somewhat astonished when he got home, and told me the dolly was only rated for about 40 lbs.

oops.

Anyway, he'll be sleepy today and part of tomorrow, but maybe we can do a little trip this weekend. But his work schedule and health issues have contributed to my effort to handle all issues and without giving him any additional loads.

LP
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
What size replacement converter?

Ellpea -

I admire and applaud your efforts to avoid increasing your husband's workload and stress level! 😊

To ease your own anxiety, I might suggest planning your first outings as if your Bigfoot was simply a great big tent for sleeping and/or sitting in.

Just make sure that your tires and towing vehicle/equipment are in good shape so that you don't have trouble on the road.

Carry a jug of water (1 to 2 gallons), a Coleman stove or tabletop charcoal grill, small flashlights,
etc. If you don't have some of those things, you might just try to borrow them from tent camper friends.

One valuable purchase might be a good 5-day Igloo or Coleman ice chest cooler. Make sure that it says that it will keep ice for 5 or 6 days. It will always be a good backup for your trailer fridge or an overflow spot for stuff that might not fit in the fridge.

Comfortable chairs to sit in, a comfortable place to sleep, and some good food should make for an enjoyable weekend. 😊

Good luck!

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I would add: pick up a couple of Mighty Bright lights. They run on AAA batteries and are sold at most book stores. Raz