What to do with extra tail light wire? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

Name: Adam
Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13'
Colorado
What to do with extra tail light wire?

Hi there,

I ordered the 7" LED Bus Lights from Panther RV for my 1988 13' Scamp.

I have an extra wire because the new LED tail lights have three wires and the Scamp has four wires for the tail lights. I was looking at an old wiring diagram and it looks like the wire I'm not using in the Scamp is the "yellow" wire (although it changes to black right at the tail lights) which is the "stop light for foreign cars."

The new tail lights work great (don't worry about the picture, I'll solder the final connections and tuck them into the trailer...this was a test). However, what should I do with the extra wire? Cap it? If so, how would that be best done? Thanks for any thoughts!

mnimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:30 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnimz View Post
Hi there,

I ordered the 7" LED Bus Lights from Panther RV for my 1988 13' Scamp.

I have an extra wire because the new LED tail lights have three wires and the Scamp has four wires for the tail lights. I was looking at an old wiring diagram and it looks like the wire I'm not using in the Scamp is the "yellow" wire (although it changes to black right at the tail lights) which is the "stop light for foreign cars."

The new tail lights work great (don't worry about the picture, I'll solder the final connections and tuck them into the trailer...this was a test). However, what should I do with the extra wire? Cap it? If so, how would that be best done? Thanks for any thoughts!
Just go to any hardware store or auto parts store and buy a crimp on end cap. It is a standard item found where the automotive wiring products are located.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:17 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
KCs answer is good but you could also just fold it over and use a couple rounds of electrical tape on the end to do the same thing. Just different ways to get it done.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yellow wire is normally for backup lights.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #5

I was wondering if the 7" round led tail light fits flat on the scamp?
Ken Asprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #6

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
backup light wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Yellow wire is normally for backup lights.
Our boler has that wire was installed by manufacturer; but no lights added tested and it works so just need lights that will look ok under the original tail lights. Nice some manufacturers added this.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I went to led Scamps 4 wire threw me for a bit. The extra wire is for a back up lights so I mounted extra lights to the bumper. One other issue I ran up against was the need for a liscence plate light so I had to tie in an extra wire off the light circut and ground and hook a small led light over the liscence plate. Getting rid of the light bulbs and its poor contacts should make my lighting so much more relialble.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Our boler has that wire was installed by manufacturer; but no lights added tested and it works so just need lights that will look ok under the original tail lights. Nice some manufacturers added this.
You could find some inexpensive automobile fog lights and mount then under your bumper and get good lighting

Here's an example only, not recommending
http://www.autoanything.com/lights/69A5643A0A0.aspx
I've gotten blasted because a person thinks the Timken bearings I linked too could be counterfeit
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light