where to mount the Inverter? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
where to mount the Inverter?

With the front couch out on my 13 ft. scamp am thinking now would be a good time to run the heavy wires for an inverter.

But where to mount it?

Thought about doing a cut out in the front of the couch on the street side for an electric outlet box that was plugged in to inverter mounted under couch.

But got to thinking maybe mounting the inverter where it was accessible was better than cutting through the couch. Especially since many have built in USB charge line.

Thought about on the side of the lower cabinet next to stove/fridge. Keep the wiring short and whole thing sort of out of the way. Was also thinking of having a cut off switch to insure 0 power draw if I'm not using the inverter.

So where do other people put the inverter/plug units?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Inverters must always be mounted upside down otherwise it'll be a converter.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
(sigh)

Steve!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I thought I knew the answer until you mentioned USB receptacles and disconnecting the inverter to prevent phantom loads. I do not care about the USB option since 12V to USB adaptors are available for what little USB plugging I will be doing. I had planned to mount an inverter under the front bunk fed with really heavy (scrap welding cable) wire from the batteries which are right outside on the tongue. I will probably make a six or seven foot 12 gauge drop cord to plug into the inverter and run it back under the passenger side bathroom/base cabinet tow kick to a duplex receptacle in a handy box. When I need 120V off-grid I will pull it out and plug in, when not used just kick it up under the cabinet. The inverter I am looking at has a remote, maybe it can shut the thing off. I may need to rethink that aspect of the project, thanks for the heads up.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Inverters must always be mounted upside down otherwise it'll be a converter.

But if you mount it upside down all the electrons will fall out. The good side it will reduce the weight with all the electron falling out.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
But if you mount it upside down all the electrons will fall out. The good side it will reduce the weight with all the electron falling out.
No wonder i get headaches, when you talk tech talk... Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
No wonder i get headaches, when you talk tech talk... Carl
Like wise you can make your laptop computer much lighter by removing all the software.

Disclaimer---This is a joke don't do it.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #8

Michigan
10,000 comedians out of work.... and yet so many are trying to break into the business right here on the forum!

Besides everyone knows the electrons are magnetic, the don't fall out. Sheesh.

I have adapters for the phone, tablet, and kindle but if the inverter was as energy efficient (just the USB draw) as hauling the adapters along that would be nice. And if inverter had enough output to yield a short recharge time. Phone 12 volt adapter takes forever to charge the tablet. Big unknown if's in that statement.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
10,000 comedians out of work.... and yet so many are trying to break into the business right here on the forum!

Besides everyone knows the electrons are magnetic, the don't fall out. Sheesh.

I have adapters for the phone, tablet, and kindle but if the inverter was as energy efficient (just the USB draw) as hauling the adapters along that would be nice. And if inverter had enough output to yield a short recharge time. Phone 12 volt adapter takes forever to charge the tablet. Big unknown if's in that statement.

NOT magnetic, but they are negative.

Electrons have to be traveling to exhibit any magnetic properties.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #10

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming

If electrons are in a trailer, they would probably be travelers!
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #11

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
NOT magnetic, but they are negative.

Well no wonder they cause so much trouble! They are too negative.
So when I'm under way they are magnetic but when parked in the CG they are not so they fall out?

My that is a switch, most of the stuff that falls out is while I'm underway and traveling.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #12

Registry
You also have to remember those are "free electrons" not the expensive kind.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #13

Michigan
Tim the idea of a handy box on an extension cord is a good one. Avoids the whole where to mount the outlet question. Could even leave some buried slack in the cord so one could feed the cord back out of sight or pull it out to move the box where one wanted for the use at hand.

I don't really think I will use 110 volt much off grid. Two items the laptop and the camera battery require an inverter. And I think my wife would appreciate a brief stint with a blow dryer before returning to civilization. Me I settle for "I shaved and washed up so I don't stink" she however has a slightly higher standard.

Am also giving some thought to location of 12 volt outlet while I have such good wiring access. I'm thinking back end of kitchen cabinets facing the dining table/bed.

Our Scamp does not have much electrical infrastructure. One outlet under sink and two 12 volt lights. One on each end of kitchen overhead cabinet. Does not even have a battery yet, just those two lights powered by the tug. I'm working on some modest improvements to make it more useful but don't want to try to implement 37 years of RV amenity changes.

Scrapped the idea of a converter, looked at the PD 45 watt and realized I could do solar for close to the same amount. Figure I have a battery charger if there is shore power and no sunshine.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Roger,

We mounted our Inverter, a PD 30 (?) under the couch on the driver's side, because it's not really usable space tucked in behind the bathroom. We put an outlet there to plug it in the inverter. We put it in the front because it's a short run to the batteries, close to the solar panel. As well we mounted a 1200 watt inverter next to it (short run again to battery).

The reality is we never use the 1200 watt inverter. We use the cigarette lighter inverters to run AC devices, like chargers, TV and Sat dish.

We have added four 12 volt outlets, one under the dinette, one near the couch, one in the outside fridge compartment and one over the stove side counter. We use the outside ones for our air compressor. Inside we use one for our wi-fi hot spot.

Our Chromebook computer can be recharged directly from 12 volts.

We have tons of AC outlets, I think 10, 1 outside and 9 inside. 2 are on the face of the dinette with USB chargers, 1 at the back of the dinette, 1 under the sink for the hot water heater and air conditioner, 2 under the couch, 2 in the ends of the counters, 1 in the fridge compartment and 1 outside near and under the rear of the Scamp. Our Scamp came with 4 AC outlets as I recall.

Yes I did do electrical engineering in a couple of careers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote