Which battery is best? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #21

Trailer: Helite
The Battery from Walmart that has the 3 year replacement warranty - if they still have that warranty.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #22

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Burro
California
Most of the power used by a CPAP is drawn by the humidifier. It uses almost 5 amps which will quickly drain your battery. Even setting the humidifier to "0" draws power as the thermoelectric device reverses to the cool mode. Thats how my Respironics works. They do offer a passover humidifier which I have yet to try. Google Respironics Passover Humidifier.
Jerry
jwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Didn't Norm have a well cared for Scamp, albeit with lots of miles on it, when he had a frame failure?
Yes he did but as said the trailer was well over 20 years old and has had *LOTS* of miles put on it in the last 4 years.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
how about dual 6V golf cart batteries?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #25

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I run twin 6V golf cart batteries. They are powered exclusively by a 140W, roof mounted solar panel, and my TV's alternator. I only boondock, the only time I plug in is over the winter to keep things topped off. I'm using a xantrex 1000w inverter/smart charger instead of an converter. Four years with system now and the only problem has been a faulty solar panel. I've never run out of juice, in fact I haven't even switched to LED's, the sun powers my old incandescents just fine
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #26

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I have a couple of recent observations about Interstate vs Walmart for buying batteries. I have bought Interstate batteries for decades as an inherited habit more than anything. I loved the 3-year warranty program and more than once I was given a free replacement when I did something dumb to kill the battery. My current trailer was bought used and came with a Walmart battery. The battery was five years old this spring, so I had Walmart test it and it was time to replace it. They took it back for re-cycling, no questions asked, no fee. I went over to the Interstate dealer to buy a battery. The standard Group 27 RV/Marine battery was $40 more than the equivalent Walmart battery. The dealer told me that Interstate has now reduced the 3-year free replacement to 1-year on RV/Marine batteries because it was costing the company too much. They also were adding a $10 automatic fee for disposing of an old battery. I told the guy I didn't have an old battery, but the $10 fee was going to be charged anyway. The Walmart price started looking a whole lot better. I also looked in Sam's Club and they had a Group 27 for the same price as Walmart.

In defense of Interstate, I can't really blame them for cutting back on free replacement of batteries used in RV's. I am sure a lot of people were letting batteries sit un-tended in parked RV's and getting free replacements instead of learning how to maintain them. But the $40 price difference is just harder to justify now.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Good Points Dave
While I too have used Interstate Batteries for years, the Biggie in the equation is still that you can always find a WalMart, and finding an Interstate dealer that is happy to take back a warranty claim just isn't as easy.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #28

Name: Josh
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Here, interstate is $80.00 and Walmart was either $60.00 or $70.00 (can't remember). Still haven't decided yet.

I think I'll go two batteries and an LP tank on the tongue with the option to switch out to two tanks, one battery depending on the camp.

1. Anyone see a problem with mounting the second battery on the LP tank platform (in the empty second tank spot, next to the other tank)
2. Does the battery have to be perfectly level?
3. Would it be foolish to tote the extra propane tank on a small mount off the bike hitch receiver on the back of the Scamp?

Thanks!
JALEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #29

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
My dos centavos (worth what you paid) is that if I wanted two batteries, I would go with two beefy 6 volters. And if only one, I would go with the slightly larger Group 30 (31?). My battery store had them and the special, slightly longer (maybe wider too) boxes. Seemed like they were not much more money, and not that much bigger, but had a nice little capacity boost over the 27. I do know for a fact that a even an old group 27 will power a CPAP through a 150W invertor for at least two nights of sleep. I have done it in preparation for hurricane season. I am going to have to buy a new battery for my Scamp soon and will be making this decision myself. I am leaning toward two 6v but like the single big battery (less money) too. If you can see your way to a little charging (solar, off the TV, shore power, small genny) every couple days at least maybe one good battery will do. You know, for task and goofing (the kids) lighting some AA (rechargeable) battery powered lights would be nice and not be draining your CPAP battery. Carry spares and charge the little batts at home or as you can.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #30

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALEE View Post
....snip....
1. Anyone see a problem with mounting the second battery on the LP tank platform (in the empty second tank spot, next to the other tank)
2. Does the battery have to be perfectly level?
3. Would it be foolish to tote the extra propane tank on a small mount off the bike hitch receiver on the back of the Scamp?

Thanks!
My battery and single propane tank are side-by-side on the tongue. No problem. A battery doesn't have to be "dead level"; just sitting flat.

Per carrying spare propane tank on a rear rack:

People do it, and it appears to be legal. I myself wouldn't due to my discomfort with the fact that in that unprotected position it could become a bomb in the even of a rear ender.

My "spare" propane is a five pound refillable bottle that's about the size of a gallon of milk. Enough propane there to go several days, during which time I'll take the main tank for refill. Works well since I rarely camp for more than seven days without having to "go to town" for something anyway.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #31

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
1. Nope, but it woud have to have it's own box and tray.
2. When stopped or unhitched, yes, reasonably level anyway.
3. A very bad idea and may be illegal in some jurisdictions. You are putting a bomb in back for someone to hit and set off. Just because there was one on the back of the "Canned Ham" in yesterdays cartoon, doesn't make it a good idea.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #32

Which battery is best?

Can anyone tell me how do I know if the camper is charging my battery when it is plugged in? My battery keeps going dead even though I'm plugged in to 30 amp service.

Thanks
brandonlgoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery