Which battery is best? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #29
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
My dos centavos (worth what you paid) is that if I wanted two batteries, I would go with two beefy 6 volters. And if only one, I would go with the slightly larger Group 30 (31?). My battery store had them and the special, slightly longer (maybe wider too) boxes. Seemed like they were not much more money, and not that much bigger, but had a nice little capacity boost over the 27. I do know for a fact that a even an old group 27 will power a CPAP through a 150W invertor for at least two nights of sleep. I have done it in preparation for hurricane season. I am going to have to buy a new battery for my Scamp soon and will be making this decision myself. I am leaning toward two 6v but like the single big battery (less money) too. If you can see your way to a little charging (solar, off the TV, shore power, small genny) every couple days at least maybe one good battery will do. You know, for task and goofing (the kids) lighting some AA (rechargeable) battery powered lights would be nice and not be draining your CPAP battery. Carry spares and charge the little batts at home or as you can.

Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #30
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Originally Posted by JALEE View Post
1. Anyone see a problem with mounting the second battery on the LP tank platform (in the empty second tank spot, next to the other tank)
2. Does the battery have to be perfectly level?
3. Would it be foolish to tote the extra propane tank on a small mount off the bike hitch receiver on the back of the Scamp?

My battery and single propane tank are side-by-side on the tongue. No problem. A battery doesn't have to be "dead level"; just sitting flat.

Per carrying spare propane tank on a rear rack:

People do it, and it appears to be legal. I myself wouldn't due to my discomfort with the fact that in that unprotected position it could become a bomb in the even of a rear ender.

My "spare" propane is a five pound refillable bottle that's about the size of a gallon of milk. Enough propane there to go several days, during which time I'll take the main tank for refill. Works well since I rarely camp for more than seven days without having to "go to town" for something anyway.

Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #31
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
1. Nope, but it woud have to have it's own box and tray.
2. When stopped or unhitched, yes, reasonably level anyway.
3. A very bad idea and may be illegal in some jurisdictions. You are putting a bomb in back for someone to hit and set off. Just because there was one on the back of the "Canned Ham" in yesterdays cartoon, doesn't make it a good idea.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #32
Which battery is best?

Can anyone tell me how do I know if the camper is charging my battery when it is plugged in? My battery keeps going dead even though I'm plugged in to 30 amp service.

brandonlgoff is offline   Reply With Quote