Wineguard Rayzar RV-R285 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Wineguard Rayzar RV-R285

Has anyone used this amplified antenna in a Scamp?
HiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have this but without the amplifier. Usually use it outside of the trailer. In campgrounds it all depends on location as to what you'll get for a signal. Also by moving it around, turning it, will change reception. Last year a friend with an old 5th wheel camper had a problem with his antenna, so he took my Rayzar, hung it on his roof antenna, and ran a cable in a window, and got decent reception. I used it at home a couple months ago when our cable went out. Stuck it in a window and got several channels. I compared it to a conventional type fold out Winegard antenna that is on our Uhaul and got as good or slightly better reception. I do find that when I run the TV through scan to find available channels, some don't come in good enough to watch
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Thanks Mary and Bob. I'm looking into an antenna that I can use inside the Scamp instead of putting up a mast outside. I think I'll give the Rayzar a try.
HiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLo View Post
Thanks Mary and Bob. I'm looking into an antenna that I can use inside the Scamp instead of putting up a mast outside. I think I'll give the Rayzar a try.
I have done a lot of experimenting with different antennas for TV, FM radio, weather radio, and satellite radio inside the Scamp. None of it was encouraging.

The foil backed insulation in the Scamp is a very effective shield that blocks radio (and TV) frequency energy. You can sometimes get a little better signal with an antenna near a window, but you also have the screens to avoid as they block the signal also. For best results you have to get outside the foil insulation. For TV reception, height, signal amplification and an antenna with directional characteristics will help.

Another thing I ran into was PWM power supplies, including my USB outlet and Solar Power Controller, which have spurious emissions that hinder reception. The same foil backed insulation that blocks outside signals also seems to contain the unwanted ones from PWM power supplies inside the camper.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote