Winter and battery - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Reconsider that framework

Bernard,

While the concept is fine, the framework has very little lateral or snow load support. If that comes down due to heavy snow, you will have a bigger problem than just a battery. Cracked egg shell comes to mind.

May be safer just to remove the battery and store it in the garage.

Jim

Old 10-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #16

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Bernard,

While the concept is fine, the framework had very little lateral or snow load support. If that comes down due to heavy snow, you will have a bigger problem than just a battery. Cracked egg shell comes to mind. May be safer just to remove the battery and store it in the garage.

Jim
i'm not done with it, i will add more wood to the structure and maybe tarps on the sides but i,m not sure about the tarps yet, it has nothing to do with the battery itself it has to do with storage location.(i'have instaled and maintain a lot of car winter shelter in my life, i have a good idea of what i need to do.)

The roof structre is there to prevent branches from the surounding trees to fall on the egg..we have giant trees in the back yard and pickup lots of braches during the wnter..
The snow that will fall oon the roof will be removed and i plan on maintaining(removing snow) the sides also.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #17

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just like Honda said: We left our batteries in our RV all winter outside with the converter on and they survived NH winters without issue. We did have to add some distilled water each spring.

We do the same, have done it for over 6 years and all is well. Add distilled water each camping season.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #18

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Well my setup has been tested yesterday, 65mph winds everywhere in the province, broken trees, powerlines down torn roof, etc.... My cover did not move an inch,

Tags
battery