Wiring - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
If you go to the documents center on the home page of this forum you will find a brochure for the 74 Boler and a 3 way fridge was an option & if it had/has one the trailer probable had a converter and the 110 plug is your fridge. Its possible the original owner never wanted to use 110 so never had the converter installed but having said that with the big bundle of wires at the same point the 110 cord is it would make me suspect a converter was used as some point - especially if you have 110 service on the outside to plug into.

If you plug the fridge directly into 110 you can expect it to take several hours/over night to cool down. its not something you can tell right away if it is working or not.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #16
Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 1974 13' Boler
That's what I plan on doing, because I work construction I can get an electrician here I'm sure lol. Beers always work. Thanks again

Ronise99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 1974 13' Boler
Thanks Carol, I appreciate any advice!
Ronise99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
That cut bundle of wires under the sink appears to have the same colors as the ones cut up front under the couch, right next to the hole in the floor.

I think that bundle was the original tongue to trailer wiring, including both the tail lights and camper 12 volt system since I see the white and black wire in those bundles at both ends.

Does not mean it did not have an inverter because that might well have been hooked into the same 12 volt line as the battery on the tongue coming back in the bundle of cut wires. A really old inverter I had acted as an auto battery switch. All 12 volt came from there and was either fed from transformer of converter or line running to battery. Had an I kid you not actual relay you could hear kick over when you plugged in.

Yep getting an electrician over will make short work of the whole thing. Might start considering where you want to have outlet(s) and lining up some parts. Under the sink is sort of inconvenient place to plug in a laptop but works great for the fridge and the converter.

Notice in that picture there is a second unused place for a circuit breaker so you can add a plug or two where it will do the most good, outside by the door is a popular choice or the end of the lower kitchen cabinet. Oh and adding GFCI outlet to the end of a line will make it a lot safer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Definitely looks like a light harness. Like they said, easier, quicker, and likely cheaper to rip the spaghetti out and start over. Looks like a good excuse for led lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #20
Name: Angela
Trailer: 1981 Burro
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Found a picture of under sink. Note the bundle of colored wires running along the bottom of the wall. The outlet used to plug in the fridge which would be located to the right. The black power cord that would run through a "cord port" to plug in at the campground.

Dear RogerDat,
In message #11, you have a photo of a breaker box. Is this your box? If so, can you take a pic of the inside of your box & post it? This is exactly what I'm about to put inside my Burro (a 2 spot, four circuit). Would love to see an example of how the neutral bar and ground was handled...

Everyone has to start somewhere...
Tip T. is offline   Reply With Quote