Wiring Confusion! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueman View Post
Thought I was confussed before! I'm an artist so I think I'll replace it all! I understand colors. Not sure if I'll run them inside the tonge or not. Uhaul did some crazy stuff huh!

Thanks for all your input, I have to keep it simple!
Steve, it's really not that complicated but remember these are old trailers that have had who knows how many owners. Also, manufacturers set there own standards so it's not that Uhaul did crazy stuff but rather they did it there way. We are not there so we are taking our best guess as to what you have. My suggestion is you sleep on it and then reread Tom's explanation of the wires and then ask about what you don't get. We'll be here. Take care, Raz

Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #16

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
... they did it there way.
When many of these trailers were made was also the era of Sinatra's "I did it my way". Who says music does not influence society?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
Registry
OK, Rewired it all but with turn signal on all the lights have a slight pulse? The uhaul has a red and brown. I ran all the whites to a ground. Tried the green feed to both red and brown, with no difference. Its like thewhite is the problem. Can't wait to get this wiring done. Got a new battery so the cab is next as soon as the running lights are done. Thanks for all the help. Steve
Old 07-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Bargeman makes real neat complete light wiring kits. You might be able to use the existing wires to pull the new ones to the back. When in doubt, do it right.....
Old 07-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
This is the original UHaul wiring. They used 110 volt wiring with a a rubber sheathing, thus the color coding.

The UHaul has amber turn signals in addition to the red tail lights. When they were rented, the UHaul techs would plug in bullet connectors in to clinch splice connectors on the customer's car to make everything work. So, if the car had amber turn signals, they would tap into these in addition to the brake lights to make it all work.

The white wire is for tail lights and is also wired into the clearance lights. Tan is ground. The tan wire starts from underneath where the wires pass into the trailer. You can use the green and black as you like, but be aware that as there are two separate wire bundles, there are two greens,two blacks, etc.

My suggestion, wire the two white wires to the brown wire on the 4 pin connector. Wire the left green to the yellow, the right green to the green on the 4 way connector. Use the black wires as ground (connect to white wire on 4 way and to the tan wire in the trailer) and make sure they are plugged into the ground wire at the tail lights.

You will need to plug the appropriate wires into the bullet plugs at the lower tail lights. This leaves you with the top, amber lights unused. If you want them to be functional, there is an electronic adapter that can be purchased.
Steve, since Tom has a Uhaul his advice is the best to follow. You will first have to locate the Tan wire he talks about and then go from there. Raz
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #20

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Steve, since Tom has a Uhaul his advice is the best to follow. You will first have to locate the Tan wire he talks about and then go from there. Raz

Thanks for your confidence.

There is nothing magic about the tan wire, it just brings the ground from the frame to the tail lights and the clearance lights. You can duplicate its function by using one of the extra wires, especially if you are not using the amber tail lights.

I never depend on the frame for electrical conduction, as it is so much easier and dependable to just run a separate ground wire.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
Registry
Thanks Tom, think I got it.