Wiring Diagram for Tow Vehicle Charging - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Name: will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington, D.C.
Wiring Diagram for Tow Vehicle Charging

I decided to update the wiring on my Burro because the previous owner did a rather lackadaisical job. I also plan on wiring the tow vehicle to charge while I am driving, and wanted to make sure I have my wiring correct. I plan on installing an 80amp, continuous duty solenoid on my car battery. The diagram looks like:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7...uitdiagram.jpg

Anyone have any input? Also, just curious but what sort of amps will the 12v line to the tow vehicle pull off my car battery while its charging?
wklose99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looks good. Are you literally engaging the solenoid off the alternator current? I think that usually the solenoid is powered off an accessory circuit (powered in key on position).
Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #3

Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Looks good. Are you literally engaging the solenoid off the alternator current? I think that usually the solenoid is powered off an accessory circuit (powered in key on position).
Yeah, I plan on hooking it up to the same signal my car stereo takes that tells it to turn on when the key turns. Sorry, should have make that clear on the diagram.

-Will
Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It looks like your charging your trailer battery with the converter. On my primitive converter, that came with my 1978 Trillium, charging the battery is not a good idea. It has not battery charging features, and would eventually boil the battery dry. Is yours recommended for battery charging?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #5

Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
It looks like your charging your trailer battery with the converter. On my primitive converter, that came with my 1978 Trillium, charging the battery is not a good idea. It has not battery charging features, and would eventually boil the battery dry. Is yours recommended for battery charging?
Yeah, its a progressive dynamics intellipower 9245, with different charge modes that are utilized based on the voltage read at the battery.

If it is necessary to charge from a battery charger, why will charging from the tow vehicle battery or solar panel not boil the battery? lower current push?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklose99 View Post
If it is necessary to charge from a battery charger, why will charging from the tow vehicle battery or solar panel not boil the battery? lower current push?
It is all in the electronics. The old original converters were just dumb transformers that would eventually overcharge a battery.