Wiring for Compact II HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #1

Name: Dawnette
Trailer: Compact II by Hunter
Colorado
Registry
Wiring for Compact II HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

I am having some issues getting my trailer wiring to work and could really use some trouble shooting advise!! Issue: Mainly on the left side. Fading of the blinker if the running lights are on, sometimes the running lights don't even work (without changing the wiring, just seems finicky) No running lights the blinker works fine but the brake light is really dim compared to the right side. Occasionally, the right blinker will blink, dimly, when the left side is on, no consistency when running lights on or brake lights, just seems to randomly happen. Otherwise the right side works great with bright running light, break light, blinker or even all three together! Ekkkk I might just pull my hair out! This is really frustrating and any help would be greatly appreciated!
Dawnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The most common problem with trailer light wiring is a poor ground. Run a temporary ground wire from your tow vehicle white wire (or shiny metal on the chassis) back to the light socket. If it works properly, then trace down the ground fault.

My preference is to not use the frame as a conductor, but to run a separate ground wire to each light. Also remove the bulbs and check/ clean the contacts on the bulb and in the socket with fine sandpaper or an emery board.

You may also have a problem at the plug. Have some one wiggle it around while you watch the tail lights. If they change, the plug may have poor connections.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
These types of things are often caused by poor connections. I'm not sure if your trailer was wired using wire for negative battery. I suspect that they used the frame for the negative side of the power to the running lights, brake lights (brake lights and turn signals are the same lights and wiring).

If they wired so the frame is the negative side there should be wires attached to the frame near every running light, and tail lights. Look for those connections first. If that's how it's wired the connections are probably corroded.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #4

Colorado
Registry
Oh my gosh Tom you are a genius!!! The ground worked so we cleaned the connection to the bulb (how ridiculous of us not to think of this) found a tiny crack in the fixture that wasn't allowing the connection to stay consistent....long story short, I still have my hair AND we have lights!!!! Lots and lots of light!!! Thank you sooo much!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There are bulb socket brushes available, Lisle is one company that makes them. Just don't try cleaning the socket with any lights on.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnette View Post
Oh my gosh Tom you are a genius!!! The ground worked so we cleaned the connection to the bulb (how ridiculous of us not to think of this) found a tiny crack in the fixture that wasn't allowing the connection to stay consistent....long story short, I still have my hair AND we have lights!!!! Lots and lots of light!!! Thank you sooo much!
Good deal. Nothing more frustrating than being ready to go and no lights.

As I mentioned, if you run a ground wire from the plug back to one light then over to the other you will save yourself and any future owner many troubles.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Thanks to everyone that replied and so quickly!! That's why I LOVE this site I hope everyone the best camping this season camp on fellow fiberglassers, camp on!!!