Old 08-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #29
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
So what your saying Jared is you don't like scotchlocks

Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #30
Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Not so much, no. 😒 95% of all my trailer wiring troubles have been a direct result of lazy manufacturers using them instead of the proper product. Heck, even if you think they're working right, they likely aren't. I've brightened the lights on 3 trailers just by getting rid of them. In contrast, I have NEVER had a crimped and adhesive heatshrink connection go bad, and never will. I caught the wiring harness on the car trailer once, snapped every damn wire for the taillights, didn't pull one connection apart.

That being said, I don't advocate $5 crimper/stripper combos, either, but that's a different rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #31
Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
You should rip all of that old wiring out. Realistically that's beyond repairing in terms of time, effort, cost and safety. I just put a PD-4045 in my Boler and I think it's a great product. Instructions suck so you'll definitely need someone with some know how.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #32
Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Oh, and do NOT allow the repair people to put those damned wire cutting, wire corroding scotchlocks back in. Those things are a disaster waiting to happen, and should be outlawed. I had to cut off a foot of wiring on every side of them on my trailer before finding good shiny wire again. Everything within a foot of them was corroded.
This is exactly why my next project on my trailer is removing and replacing the trailer wiring - there are more of those scotchlocks used on the wires than I could easily count, and every single one of the wires is completely corroded. Using those once just starts a chain reaction, and rather than realizing they are the CAUSE of the problem, subsequent repairs use the same connectors, just making things worse (and a big ugly mess when someone starts mixing wire colors with whatever is handy).
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #33
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Scotch locks = abomination and tool of the devil. My TV turn signal module was trashed from the wire corrosion of trailer plug being connected using those things.

Mechanic replaced module and used crimp connectors and shrink tube for the wiring.

Unless your doing wiring for your ex mother and law and you really don't like her an awful lot.... just say no!

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote