Wiring help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Scamp wiring diagram from the page at this link that also has a brief discussion of the system. Presence or not of a given component doesn't affect/change the layout.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #16

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
That was exactly what I needed to see and read! Thank you.

Now, if there is no power converter everything is just run off the battery and then 120 breakers and everything running on 120 need to have shore power to work? Can you tap in and put a converter anywhere in camper than works best so long as you can run a 120 line to it? As in under the front bunk would be perfect for us... I could get the 120 from fluorescent light ( mrs has "other ideas" for that spot )?? Sound logical or am I not getting yet?

I'd prefer if possible to not replace everything...
Thanks all!

Old 04-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #17

Registry
You can put the converter wherever you want to locate it in the trailer, just so long as its wired as shown.

Be warned that depending on what one you buy, they can be a bit noisy...not sure I'd want a cooling fan running directly under my bed!
Old 04-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #18

Ohio
Have any suggestions for a quality converter?
Old 04-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #19

Registry
Since I'm still using the original converter that came with my '78 Trillium, I'll leave recommendations for units actually built in this millenium to those more expert than I.

I'm sure somebody'll be chiming in here shortly- good luck to you!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
The white "module" in the second photograph is an electronic igniter for the hot water heater when operating on propane.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Bob Miller suggested a Progressive Dynamics model back on page 1, That specific model did not have any reviews on Amazon but a related model from same company did probably worth checking over the reviews. Can often learn a lot from what people have to say who have installed one. Most of the PD models appear popular and well reviewed.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dy...4XMP7H3WEXF633

Looks like this one gets hard wired in for AC input which may offer more flexibility than one that plugs into an outlet.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer scamp View Post
Have any suggestions for a quality converter?
I have installed seven Progressive-Dynamics PD-4045 converters, three in my personal FGRV's and four for customers.

As an all-in-one package for AC & DC power, as well as having a built in smart battery charger, I know of nothing in the same size and price range that can compare for ease of installation and quality.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #23

Ohio
http://www.appliedgmc.com/images/PD9200_Manual.pdf

Looking at the manual for this converter and cross referencing it with the wiring diagram of scamp that was posted earlier...
I don't see where the wiring rainbow from the scamp is being hooked into the converter like the scamp schematic shows. Anyone hooked this variety of converter and shed some light?

Ps. Don't worry too much.. One of my good buddies is an electrician and will help me install it. But I like to understand it for myself. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #24

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer scamp View Post
Looking at the manual for this converter and cross referencing it with the wiring diagram of scamp that was posted earlier...
The manual for the one you posted shows the converter and distribution panels as separate units, in the scamp they are combined.

Much like the one Roger uses: http://www.progressivedyn.com/pdfs/1...ish%20Only.pdf

Do you have a distribution panel already or are you going to need to install one?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #25

Ohio
Ahhhhh... I was wondering what the schematic meant by distribution center (said DC) and without giving it much thought I read AC (as in the breaker box.... )...
I have no distribution panel... Just rainbow wires and battery wires running in and all through inside. And then a breaker box running the 120 stuff. As far as I can tell these are wired as two separate system in our scamp with no other hardware or electronics on board.

So, then I need something like the 4200 series progressive dynamics unit.... Do you remove exiting breaker box and just build a cabinet for it in the same location? Or can it be installed elsewhere? Curious because the rainbow wires don't all run all the way under sink where breaker box is.. Just trying to avoid ripping all wires out I guess
Old 04-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #26
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
A converter is a combination charger/ DC power supply. Do you camp mostly with electrical hook ups for days on end. Then a converter is nice to have. If not then a good battery charger will do. A battery charger ($50) will charge your battery before you head out and let you maintain your battery between trips. The tow will charge it in between camp sites. A solar set up may be a better place to put your money. If my PD 4045 died today I would not replace it. Also if you've not done it yet, switch to LED lights. They use about 20% of the power an incandescent bulb does which equates to less discharge on the battery. Good luck and enjoy your project. Raz
Old 04-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #27

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
A solar set up may be a better place to put your money. If my PD 4045 died today I would not replace it.
That is an interesting comment Raz. My converter is on its way out and I was thinking of going with something like the PD 4045. Ideally I don't need something with that much power and would like to find something with the solar integrated. Sort of an all in one package relocated under the front bench.

So how would you do it then? I've got the solar to install. I currently use an external battery charger, the one for my vehicles. I don't like the current position of the converter at the rear bench where body parts inadvertantly hit switches.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #28

Ohio
So I could leave everything as is and just get a good battery charger setup and be good to go today?????
. We don't mind if we camp with power or just boondock so maybe that's the way to go until we see if it works for us. Gotta have her road worthy by June 5th... Then it's time to summer scamp ( both teachers)