Wiring help in Minnesota - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Name: Josh
Trailer: 1975, 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Wiring help in Minnesota

Hello,

I have a 75 scamp that I restored last summer. I have not done much with the wiring. The system currently works as is (I think the wiring is original) but does not have a fuse panel, or a converter. I am wanting to update the wiring and add a converter & fuse panel. I'd like to be able to charge the battery with shore power, my tow vehicle, and eventually with solar.

I have all the parts, a fuse panel, a converter, wire, etc, but I think I am in over my head trying to make it happen. Is there anyone living in or near southern MN that would be willing to help me seal the deal? I would be happy to drive to you, and pay you for your time.

I attached some pictures.
1. The 110 v breaker box below the sink.
2. The 6-prong wiring coming into the camper, I believe with in-line fuses.
3. The 12 volt coming in from the battery.
4. The converter/fuse panel.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

Josh Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
How far are you from Backus where scamp trailers are made or
Maybe a call to scamp and they could give you some recommendations
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Your choices

If you aren't able to entice a fellow Scamp owner to help you figure it out, you are pretty much down to two choices: Find a 13 year old neighborhood kid to figure it out in about 15 minutes, or read the manuals and figure it out for yourself in about 3 days!

Good luck
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:58 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Josh, I have rewired my entire 79 Boler with the set up your going to have. Don't look at it as a whole and take it piece meal.
Start with the converter/charger with looks like you already have hooked up to fuse panel then hook up individual lines to items (my converter has a breaker box came with high and low voltage breaker or fuses installed. so it was easier)
The charge wire from tow vehicle to trailer is as easy or complicated as you want it to be.
I just ran a #6 stranded wire with inline 20 amp fuse and shut off from fuse panel in engine compartment going back to hook directly into the battery when traveling. I could have put in a selinoid to shut it off when engine is off but I just throw inline switch under dash and its isolated.
Then work on the Solar... mine is just used to recharge battery but my panels are a bit small so this year will buy new panels and I am sure I will need a better solar controler to handle the bigger panels.
Good luck and remember
All work and no play can make it all seam like work.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #5

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Wink View Post
Hello,

I have a 75 scamp that I restored last summer. I have not done much with the wiring. The system currently works as is (I think the wiring is original) but does not have a fuse panel, or a converter. I am wanting to update the wiring and add a converter & fuse panel. I'd like to be able to charge the battery with shore power, my tow vehicle, and eventually with solar.

I have all the parts, a fuse panel, a converter, wire, etc, but I think I am in over my head trying to make it happen. Is there anyone living in or near southern MN that would be willing to help me seal the deal? I would be happy to drive to you, and pay you for your time.

I attached some pictures.
1. The 110 v breaker box below the sink.
2. The 6-prong wiring coming into the camper, I believe with in-line fuses.
3. The 12 volt coming in from the battery.
4. The converter/fuse panel.
I've done a little research on the internet and you can find a lot of information on Scamp, which you can compare to what you currently have.

Attention, note that the previous owner (s) of this trailer may have made changes that do not exactly match what you find in the documents, it is necessary to check and adjust the situation.

https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...act=mrc&uact=8

Be careful,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #6

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
You may want to check in the document center here for some wiring?

After opening the next page, click on "Document Center" and continue with a click on "Electrical", you will find a lot of information used by the members of this forum.

The Fiberglass RV Community

Have a good day,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote