Wiring issues (why would I think it would work the first time?) - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-22-2017, 07:04 AM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Working from memory here as I redid mine this past summer.

You say reverse is yellow, on mine the center pin is reverse and light green. You don't mention if your four way flashers work.

I am pulling with an Astro van this is the order of wires on the van side.
Counter clock wise colors are Blue, Dark green, Orange, Black, Yellow, White, and center pin is light green.
Just to clear things up for anyone trying to make sense of this in the future.
Everyone go back and look at the picture on post #10
You'll see there are TWO 7 pin color code standards
One is the Traditional and the other is the RV STANDARD
The one Danial has above is the traditional standard colors.
Most but not all RV's use the RV standard (wonder why)
However the pin outs on the connectors are the same for both or put another way only the colors on pigtails are different.

Also for those facing the mess Slade had up front, installing a 7 pin terminal box would make the job easier both the first time and later when the 7 pin cable wire needs replaced.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #42

Name: Phil
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Saskatchewan
You know how sometimes the problem is so obvious that it eludes you? It is pretty cold here, so when I was trying to get the fan working, I had the vent closed. Turns out the fan works great, but only with the vent open! Which makes total sense, but I was so focussed on wiring and complicated solutions that this didn't even occur to me.
slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
You know how sometimes the problem is so obvious that it eludes you? It is pretty cold here, so when I was trying to get the fan working, I had the vent closed. Turns out the fan works great, but only with the vent open! Which makes total sense, but I was so focussed on wiring and complicated solutions that this didn't even occur to me.
That's a good story! Now that you mention it, I recall getting tripped up by that when our trailer first arrived.

"Gee, it worked during the orientation!?"

It's also just the sort of thing that we in the long-distance-assistance end of things would hardly ever think to mention.

I've never minded that I sometimes look foolish when these kinds of things happen. I figure that with all the practice I get, at least I am getting good at it!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #44

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
Don't beat yourself up over it Slade.....nobody else remembered or thought of that either .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #45

Name: Phil
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Saskatchewan
Funny how our minds work, or don't, sometimes. Anyway, thank you, and everyone else who contributed to this post. I have learned quite a bit through this process.
And I really like the sound of that 7 pin terminal board that Joe Romas mentioned. Boy would that make any subsequent work easier. If I ever need to fix my wiring again (what am I saying? WHEN I need to fix my wiring again....) I will definitely look into one of those.
slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #46

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
It's also just the sort of thing that we in the long-distance-assistance end of things would hardly ever think to mention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Don't beat yourself up over it Slade.....nobody else remembered or thought of that either .
I didn't mean it to sound like I wouldn't even think to mention it, like someone should just know that.

I meant to say that I didn't even think to think of it!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #47

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
what

What what what what are you sayin Slade?? I am running out to check mine now. Amazin!

are you sure??

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #48

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
love love love

man I love this board!!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote