Wiring problem in boler 1300. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Wiring problem in boler 1300.

Hello,

I just purchased a boler off some very nice older people near Calgary, however I noticed when I got home that the brake and signal lights remained on after I disconnected the 7 pin power line from my truck. I didn't notice them on before we attached the boler to the truck and they said they never noticed them on either.

I figured that they must be attached to the battery somehow. So i looked at the batteries.

Theres 3 connected in sequence on the left and right batteries of there is positive and negative terminals connected. On the left battery there is a black and a red cable connected to the positive terminal. After unhooking the black only the lights on the outside went off but also the lights inside the boler dont work now too. The fridge, and outside light, work fine. We have no inverter installed.

And i know that when the truck is connected to the boler that the signals and brake lights work as they are supposed too.

Does anyone know how I can or what I can look for to disconnect the brake lights and to allow me to use the batteries as they are installed?

Why would anyone wire the signal/brake lights to the batteries so they were on all the time?
nzwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Depending on what plug that connects the car & trailer, there could be a problem there, in that wires are touching. May not be the problem, just an idea.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Is there a switch somewhere? Some people wire up their trailers to provide ambient outdoor lighting. We were camped next to Doug Clapp at the 2013 Eggfest in Grafton a few weeks back and he had done this. It sure made finding your trailer easier to locate in the dark. We just had to know we were camped next to him.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #4

Alberta
Hmm that makes more sense than I can see for any other reason of having the lights hooked directly to the battery. Im waiting on a nice fine day so that I can take all the stuff out of the boler and trace the wiring. Where the batteries are its a spagetti mess of wires. Hopefully I do find a switch I dont really want to go and rewire the whole boler.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #5

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Depending on what plug that connects the car & trailer, there could be a problem there, in that wires are touching. May not be the problem, just an idea.
So the brake/signal lights might be touching the black power wire (for inside lights) and getting power that way. That makes sense too. I guess I just need to pull it apart and have a look.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
So the brake/signal lights might be touching the black power wire (for inside lights) and getting power that way. That makes sense too. I guess I just need to pull it apart and have a look.
most likely a short happening at the trailers umbilical cord/plug.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler