yellow wire/brown wire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
yellow wire/brown wire

ok working on my 2nd mod on my ParkLiner....putting in a 12 volt socket.... i see the 2 wires 1 yellow, 1 brown going into the exterior light and the light works fine...i bought a 12 volt socket kits...used the blue plastic piece that bites and splices the wire together... did both tested it and 12 volt socket didnt work....used a pair of tester wires with clips on both ends...tried it both ways with a known car charger that works...when i disconected 1 end it fell on my stove and sparked and the heater fan made a different sound....yanked it away lights still work but still no power to the new outlet...

what am i doing wrong and my old multimeter isnt registering anything whe i touch the test ends together

thanks

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Could be the side taps didn't penetrate the insulation of one or both original conductors or one or both taps? I take it you did some sort of polarity/continuity test with the alligator jumpers. Did the socket work with the charger? If it did, it seems you don't have juice thru the taps. I don't know what you're doing wrong. Make sure the guillotine in the tap is squeezed all the way down. Cap will close easily and stay closed if you did your part. Or strip insulation on the feeds and the taps, solder and tape. Or whack, strip and use wire nuts.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

New Jersey
Registry
yeah....i got mad cut them out and wired it direct works fine....got to throw those clips away lol
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Those side clips work great if you use the size appropriate for the wire. I have successfully used them lots in the past, including a couple dozen in my Escape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
when i disconected 1 end it fell on my stove and sparked and the heater fan made a different sound....yanked it away lights still work but still no power to the new outlet...

what am i doing wrong

Step away from the pliers, Deryk...

And get someone to show you how to
turn off the power before you start to "work" on the system

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #6

Delaware
I've never had much trouble with insulation taps; the exception being those lamp wire rotary switches. Like almost any product, I would guess there's a manufacturer somewhere who can make them look good without worrying about functionality.

I'm waiting for a comparison of the Park Liner and your gypsy wagon. Which one will win? I wonder.

jack
Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

Delaware
Some like it HOT, Francesca.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #8

New Jersey
Registry
oh Jack, the ParkLiner wins lol i love the look of the gypsy vardo...but i have plans to make a light cover to go over the ParkLiner and camouflage it to look like a canvas bowtop...

discovered something new....the heater will stop putting out heat when the battery gets low...even though the fan still runs....and the low voltage alarm didnt go off...first i filled the low tank...no change (it was low and otherone was too) when that didn't work i backed my Rav4 over plugged it in waited 5 minutes tried it again and boom i have heat again lol....guess i will need that generator if im winter boondocking lol

deryk
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Don't use scotch-locks, period. The guy that invented them should be strung up. If they're in a system with a problem, I give it a 95% chance they're causing it. Bad connections, corroded connections, cut strands, you name it. Use butt connectors, etc., and heat shrink the connection. If its outside, use marine heat shrink with the waterproof adhesive.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #10

Registry
O.K., I have to ask:

What's with the "yellow wire/brown wire" you mention in your opening post???

This combination going in to an exterior light that you think you can tap for a 12v outlet is a new one for me...brown is almost always curbside tail!

And ground on trailers has been white for years....

Do you have a wiring diagram for the Parkliner???

Francesca
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #11

Delaware
Like Cobra, dey musta ust evyting dey got, including conductors which happened to be the color that was on the spool. Surely you're not calling for "transparency" in trailer wiring, Francesca? Where would be the fun in that?

jack
Old 12-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Going to the interior and porch lights in my scamp is yellow/brown, to the battery is white/black.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #13

Registry
I get it...I read his "exterior light" wrong.

Thought he was talking about a running light or something...

My exterior 12v outlet is connected to the battery hot/trailer ground lines, and the one in the interior is wired (red/white) directly to the converter.

Francesca
Old 12-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
yeah...i do need to speak with Chandler for a wireing diagram and my fuse box is unmarked so i need to know what is what. all of my interior lights and porch light are yellow hot brown ground. Harry didn't get a real manual, just all the books for the different appliances. i want a little more info. I also need to get a gauge that lets me know where my batteries are at powerwise. Lots of projects lol

deryk
Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Lots of projects lol

deryk
Ain't it grand?

What else would we do when we can't be actually traveling with our trailers???

Francesca
Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Derek, we've had no Internet for a few days so apparently missed something. Did you get a new trailer?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #17

New Jersey
Registry
Yuppers! i bought Harry"s 2012 ParkLiner! laying in the queen sized bed supposedly napping for tonight lol

When i get home tomorrow i will upload some pics of my new tableleg...eventually new tables(or routering the corners) So many things to do to get it all homey for camping season...maybe even a little Glam!

deryk
Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
oh Jack, the ParkLiner wins lol i love the look of the gypsy vardo...but i have plans to make a light cover to go over the ParkLiner and camouflage it to look like a canvas bowtop...

discovered something new....the heater will stop putting out heat when the battery gets low...even though the fan still runs....and the low voltage alarm didnt go off...first i filled the low tank...no change (it was low and otherone was too) when that didn't work i backed my Rav4 over plugged it in waited 5 minutes tried it again and boom i have heat again lol....guess i will need that generator if im winter boondocking lol

deryk
I'd get a solar panel up on the roof with VHB tape and run the wiring down the channel by the sink where the thermostat is. I discussed this with Chandler when contemplating a Parkliner purchase with solar, that is the chase to use. With dual Optima batteries and a 80 watt panel you will not need a generator. If your batteries are dead now, then I'd bet they are wired incorrectly which I noticed Parkliner does. Wire them correctly before you lose one of those new Optimas. Charge them up, plug in a multimeter into one of those new 12v outlets and monitor them.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #19

Registry
These conversations re. heaters that won't heat without external electricity sources always remind me:

I do so love the little fan on my catalytic heater that generates its own electricity from the heat produced by the heater itself!

Francesca
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #20

New Jersey
Registry
I agree Francesca... if I would have went with a new ParkLiner, I would have went without the heater and got this DickinsonMarine.com - Propane Fireplaces

I had the P-12000 on my first boat, but the 9000 and installed it next to the bathroom door and would of made the screen door open in the middle, hinged on both sides so the heater would have fit. It can run without the fan, but .2 amps per hour is almost nothing. It would be awesome to have a fireplace to look at while layin in bed!

deryk