17" Boler Trailer - Waste Water - Black Water Tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Name: W.B.
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Cool 17" Boler Trailer - Waste Water - Black Water Tank

I attempting to fix a black water tank problem for a 1978 17" Boler Trailer. It appears that attempts have been made by previous owners to seal up around the drain pipe from tank to ABS 4" pipe that is connected to the release valves and mechanism. I cleaned off standard toilet wax and a little silcon as well as some black goopy stuff as well. The threaded 4" hole on tank appears to be the problem area. Looks like plastic around hole about an inch wider in diameter is cracked or leaking.

Since this is gross black water not sure if it is worth it to try with something like 3M marine sealer.

I was thinking of asking DM plastics if they had a waste tank for Boler as well. We just picked up a potable water tank from them that is original Boler mold. Worked great.

This blackwater is way more involved, will likely have to take down the one original wood panelling to access the vent stack if I replace tank.

Suggestions on trying this patch or opinions are most welcome.

Have fun out there.

Will
waroibns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
This video will give you a rough idea on how these Bolers come apart if you want to remove the Black Water tank. Other videos in the series will show how I removed the bench seats.

Should be similar construction on yours. This model is a Rear Gaucho unit.

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks

Thank you Kevin. I had found that great series on youtube yesterday after posting myself. Great record of his experience and thrilled to see it help me get a good look at other end of the tank and I think I found tank at DM plastics as well.

Will
Old 04-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #4

If you get a price on that tank let us all know. I may end up needing one if I can't get new pipes on the old one. I did pick up a new water tank from D&M last year. Never thought to ask about the black water while I was in their shop.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #5

British Columbia
More on Black water.

So love those videos. I think DM plastic product idea is 1531 http://dmplastics.ca/products/drawings/RBW1531.pdf

I do not have mine out yet to confirm dimensions but this one is looking good. Is the one from yours thicker on one end than the other. The side on mine that I can see is 4" thick.

Anyway tank 1531 is $122.43 from DM. See http://dmplastics.ca/products/drawings/RBW1531.pdf

My thank looks like that one in video.

I am trying to figure out way to get tank out with limiting how much I take apart. Seat and one side of wall is what needs to happen so I can unscrew the vent pipe.

Thanks again for help.

will
Old 05-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #6

British Columbia
So wanted to post that I ended taking out tank and patching it up. That worked and save over $100 which feels really good.

Work is now complete on this one and happy with what we did.

W
Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #7

That does look like the tank in my video. I will do some measurements to confirm.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #8

Name: Tenneille
British Columbia
Registry
17’ black tank

Are these tanks made of PE or PP plastic? What products can be used to repair rock holes so do not have to remove the tank to replace.
If have you remove...I watched Kevin’s video and hoping do not have to gut the bathroom to get the tank out. What is the easiest easy to do this?
Tenneille M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler