1999 Burro Toilet - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Burro 17 ft
New owners of a '99 Burro 17' with toilet issues. Does anyone know the toilet brand Burro supplied in '99? I need some parts to repair and have no manual and the toilet has no markings.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Mine is a Valterra,

Old 01-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #3

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Paula: Valterra "La Toilette."

An update on our toilet saga. We have found the Valterra unit to work OK, but as the long thread suggests, maintenance is a problem. When I ordered another (4th) valve the knowledgeable salesman offered that they no longer made the unit but that the replacements valves are still available. His opinion was that they were a low-cost (compromised) unit.

As long as the valves are available we'll be OK, but who knows. I'm preparing myself for the day when they are not, so I'm thinking a replacement eventually. As I think the pictures in the thread show, the mounting flange for the thing is totally unconventional, requiring serious rework for a different unit. Not looking forward to it.

In order to not be caught flat footed it seems like investing in two replacement valves at this time is in my future.

The access panel I cut has been a serious success, since the last valve replacement took less than 10 minutes. The key here is to have a nut driver and the Flair-It fitting wrench tool handy (not very expensive and very easy to use).

On our recent cross-country trip the valve started leaking with two days to go. The problem is that any time the water pump is on the water goes right through the toilet and into the tank, filling it up quickly and draining the freshwater tank in the bargain. I had a 90 degree angle Flair-It valve available to fit to the left of the toilet on the order of what Gina did, so if a valve emergency happens again, and it will, the supply to the toilet can be easily shut off when not being used.

If it were not for the valves reliably "tanking" the toilet would be quite acceptable, but in the long run I might replace it with a higher quality one.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Burro 17 ft
Quote:

An update on our toilet saga. We have found the Valterra unit to work OK, but as the long thread suggests, maintenance is a problem. When I ordered another (4th) valve the knowledgeable salesman offered that they no longer made the unit but that the replacements valves are still available. His opinion was that they were a low-cost (compromised) unit.

As long as the valves are available we'll be OK, but who knows. I'm preparing myself for the day when they are not, so I'm thinking a replacement eventually. As I think the pictures in the thread show, the mounting flange for the thing is totally unconventional, requiring serious rework for a different unit. Not looking forward to it.

In order to not be caught flat footed it seems like investing in two replacement valves at this time is in my future.

The access panel I cut has been a serious success, since the last valve replacement took less than 10 minutes. The key here is to have a nut driver and the Flair-It fitting wrench tool handy (not very expensive and very easy to use).

On our recent cross-country trip the valve started leaking with two days to go. The problem is that any time the water pump is on the water goes right through the toilet and into the tank, filling it up quickly and draining the freshwater tank in the bargain. I had a 90 degree angle Flair-It valve available to fit to the left of the toilet on the order of what Gina did, so if a valve emergency happens again, and it will, the supply to the toilet can be easily shut off when not being used.

If it were not for the valves reliably "tanking" the toilet would be quite acceptable, but in the long run I might replace it with a higher quality one.

Thank you Gina and Per!!!! My husband is in the trailer cursing as we speak. He has also said that he will probably end up replacing it as it is an "odd" unit. We go out this weekend for our maiden trip and will be able to see first hand what works and what doesn't. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank again,
Polly
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #5

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:

As I think the pictures in the thread show, the mounting flange for the thing is totally unconventional, requiring serious rework for a different unit. Not looking forward to it.

Per, having had TWO of my own RV "convenience" debacles (both in Airstreams, one requiring a complete platform rebuild in my '85 AS moho, and one involving the re-manufacture of 1961 pot-metal toilet parts on a porcelain bowl in my Bambi), I can tell you that replacing the commode and flange sooner rather than later is a much better plan. It seems that the flange mounting screws tend to rust into the floor platform and then become VERY difficult to remove... NOT fun at all.. and if you twist the head off one, and it's in exactly the spot you need to put another... well let's just say that the air can turn very, VERY blue VERY quickly. Do NOT ask me how I know this to be true.

Roger
Old 01-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #6

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Roger:

If I were not already knee deep in other (house) projects I would tackle this once and for all, but as the picture reminds me, the task is "interesting" to say the least. Maybe next winter.

Paula:

Beside the cautionary tale the first picture tells, the other one is the view of the valve mount through the opening I cut for the access panel. If you haven't replaced the valve yet, this may give you a visual on it to guide the contortions necessary. Use a 1/4" nut driver, and if you have the knurled Flair-It connections get the odd-looking tool in the third picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Valterra_toilet_mount.jpg   Valterra_valve_mount.jpg  

Access_hatch_overview.jpg  
Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #7

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Roger:

If I were not already knee deep in other (house) projects I would tackle this once and for all, but as the picture reminds me, the task is "interesting" to say the least. Maybe next winter.
Your "picture frame" modification will serve you well for years to come, no matter which throne is installed. The first photo of that goofy flange illustrates my earlier point exactly! If you start soaking those bolts today, you may be able to remove the nuts by next winter.

Roger

Tags
burro