2002 Scamp Water system question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: Scamp
MT
2002 Scamp Water system question

Hi- new to the forums but have gleaned a lot of knowledge already. We recently purchased a 2002 Scamp 16'. We have been trying to figure out the water system and found a perplexing lack of a connection underneath (see attached image). It appears that the tubing running to the manual pump dead ends next to the outlet of the fresh water tank underneath the trailer directly underneath the pet cock valve. Is there a "missing link" here that I'm unaware of? Has anyone seen this before and/or can offer some insight? Thanks!

Edited to add: Contacted the previous owner, who states he never used the tank and only camped in places where a fresh water connection was available.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9468.jpg  
wymontchoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Normally:

The fresh water tank has two lines through the floor like in your photo.
One is an overflow/vent in case you over fill the fresh water tank.
The other is a drain line attached to a drain valve at the bottom edge of the fresh water tank inside the trailer.

There should be a second outlet near the bottom edge of the tank which leads to the water pump whether you have an electric or manual pump.
Take another look inside under the bench and also under the sink to check for the water line which would have been there when the trailer was built.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Take another look inside under the bench and also under the sink t,,
And maybe post photos.. I agree that the photo you posted does look like the gray tank overflow, and the fresh water tank drain. If the OP never used the tank it is perfectly possible that the supply connection from the tank has been altered.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #4

MT
Thanks for the replies! There is no gray water tank on this scamp, the sink drains directly through an outlet in the wall.

I've attached a few more pictures of the lines beneath the sink and in the fresh water tank area, with the separate visible lines colored to distinguish them.

One thought I had was that maybe my pump seals are bad and that's the issue. I took the current one apart and it didn't appear to have any problems with seals or anything like that, though I don't really know what I'm looking for at this point. I did put it in a cup of water and it didn't pump, so it seems maybe that's my issue.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9470 2.jpg   IMG_9471.jpg  

IMG_9472.jpg  
Old 07-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #5

Registry
I didn't mention a gray water tank.

My post was only about fresh water.

If you have a dormant hand pump you can often restore function by putting fresh water in the tank and treating the faucet outlet like a soda straw while operating the handle. After this "priming" the pump often operates normally.
The best solution would be replacement with an electric water pump.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 PM   #6

MT
Thanks floyd. I will give it a shot. Gordon mentioned a gray water tank.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:44 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I didn't mention a gray water tank.

My post was only about fresh water.

OK OK.. you might be right, or it might be like mine (2015). I think it depends on the fill port style and I dont know what year they stop using the "ashtray" style. Info for the OP.. on my 2015 the FRESH water tank overflow is built into the fill port. Overfill and the water comes out of the over flow / air vent shown in this photo with an arrow.

And under the trailer there are two hoses that look very much like the OPs first photo. One is the fresh water low point drain connected to a valve on the bottom side of the tank). The other is the gray water tank air vent /overflow. So it was a good guess but now we know the OP has no gray water tank.

In the new photos its hard to get orientated but it does appear that one of the two hoses in the original photo (the short one?) is the fresh water tank drain. The other appears to be the one you have colored blue.. so where does it go? Is it the sink drain?
Attached Thumbnails
fillport.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
OK OK.. you might be right, or it might be like mine (2015). I think it depends on the fill port style and I dont know what year they stop using the "ashtray" style. Info for the OP.. on my 2015 the FRESH water tank overflow is built into the fill port. Overfill and the water comes out of the over flow / air vent shown in this photo with an arrow.

And under the trailer there are two hoses that look very much like the OPs first photo. One is the fresh water low point drain connected to a valve on the bottom side of the tank). The other is the gray water tank air vent /overflow. So it was a good guess but now we know the OP has no gray water tank.

In the new photos its hard to get orientated but it does appear that one of the two hoses in the original photo (the short one?) is the fresh water tank drain. The other appears to be the one you have colored blue.. so where does it go? Is it the sink drain?
The one painted blue is attached at the top of the fresh water tank and vented through the floor.
It would serve essentially the same purpose as the vent line on your filler were it attached to a filler like in your picture.

The gray water vent/overflow is usually a much larger diameter piece of tubong and comes up through the floor, loops over then exits back through the floor.
In most applications the gray water vent is on the opposite side of the trailer (port,left, driver's)
Old 07-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I have a 1993. Not sure about this one, but can't imagine they got a lot more creative.

My fresh water tank has an inlet at the back then labeled fresh water. It has the vent overflow mentioned here. Frankly it almost always leaks a bit in travel. But otherwise generally only has water flowing through it when you do over fill. In your third picture the blue hose is probably the vent over flow. Then I have a drain valve and line. IN the fhird picture that is obviously the valve there. Identical to mine.

I wonder if your line at the top, the black one in the third picture is the fill line. You should be able to trace it and figure that out.

I think you are missing a line or a picture of a line. And we seem to be missing the pump. The pump should as you said have no seals or anything. And from what I can tell a 1`6 foot scamp should always have an electrical pump. Now the obvious question does the pump make noise. They do make some noise, more if they are running empty. And they do freeze up especially with no use. If it is not making noise that is your problem. either it is not getting power or it is frozen up. Probably the second.

Your pump should look like this https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...mp-detail.html

Now you are talking also about plumbing under the camper. The pump should be in the camper body. Frankly mine is right in front of where picture 3 seems to be showing. The pump should have its back end pretty much right at the left edge of that picture and then run on to the left. It should have an input from the tank and then run into the camper plumbing. It sounds like you don't have that or have not located that.

Now you are talking about a pump under the camper. There is one. It is the shower gray water pump. It takes the water from the shower and pumps it into the gray water tank. It actually should look a lot like the fresh water pump.

I think you need to do some more research.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp