2015 Casita SD17 hotwater pump screeching - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
2015 Casita SD17 hotwater pump screeching

The "Flow Water Jet" pump, under the rear bed, by the hot water tank - is making screeching sounds. I cut the water when I left town for a few days, but left the 30amp electric plugged it. I also turned off the electric water heater before I cut the water, and the gas water heater is turned off. I never put water in the freshwater tank, only using the pressure from city water. I'm not even sure why that water heater is used, if all the pressure is coming from the city water. The sound is getting annoying, I've been listening to it for 24 hours since I got back.

Any ideas?

Old 12-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There is a switch to turn OFF the 12 VDC water pump. Turn it off.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
1. If the Water Pump Switch doesn't do the trick, pull the fuse to turn the pump OFF.

2. The pressure switch on the pump should keep it off when there is city water pressure, but it should be switched OFF anyway.

3. Running it "Dry" for 24 hours may have damaged the pump motor and/or pump seals. You will want to check that out before setting out to where you will need on-board water.

4. That's not just a pump for the hot water, it's for the entire on-board water system.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #4

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
There is a switch to turn OFF the 12 VDC water pump. Turn it off.
The water pump switch in front of the sink is turned off, and the hot-water switch to the right of the circuit breaker (near the floor) is turned off. Is their a 3rd switch? I'm not finding it in the Casita manual. Or do you mean a circuit breaker should be tripped?

There is a screech-bubble sound, maybe it is boiling the water - and it just takes a few days to heat the hot water up?
Old 12-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #5

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
1. If the Water Pump Switch doesn't do the trick, pull the fuse to turn the pump OFF.

2. The pressure switch on the pump should keep it off when there is city water pressure, but it should be switched OFF anyway.

3. Running it "Dry" for 24 hours may have damaged the pump motor and/or pump seals. You will want to check that out before setting out to where you will need on-board water.

4. That's not just a pump for the hot water, it's for the entire on-board water system.
"2. The pressure switch on the pump should keep it off when there is city water pressure, but it should be switched OFF anyway."

There is a switch on the pump itself?
Old 12-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
The "Flow Water Jet" ("Flow-Jet," not Flow Water Jet)pump, under the rear bed, by the hot water tank - is making screeching sounds. (Running a Flow-Jet pump dry will not hurt it, so whatever your problem is, it isn't from running it dry, but just wondering, why is it even on if you aren't using it, and also while you're hooked up to city water which is already pressurized?) I cut the water when I left town for a few days, but left the 30amp electric plugged it (Did you drain the HWH reservoir or leave it full of water so it can needlessly corrode your anode?). I also turned off the electric water heater before I cut the water, and the gas water heater is turned off. (That's good.) I never put water in the freshwater tank, only using the pressure from city water. I'm not even sure why that water heater is used, if all the pressure is coming from the city water (Whether on city water or tank water, all your hot water in either case would be heated by the trailer hot water heater.) The sound is getting annoying, I've been listening to it for 24 hours since I got back. (Just curious as to why you even have it on? The water pump is only used if you are using your trailer fresh water tank. If you are on city water, you don't need the pump to be on, as the pressure is already there.)

Any ideas?
My suggestion would be to read up on your trailers' on-board systems and how things function. It sounds like you are very confused at this point, at least about how water flows through the system and its component parts anyway.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
Quote:
No, the only switch is the one by the galley sink. The only other way to turn it off would be to pull the fuse for that circuit on your converter panel.

As to the screeching noise, (original complaint,) most times it can be attributed to a bearing failure, which have been known to occur now and then.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #8

California
Quote:
"2. The pressure switch on the pump should keep it off when there is city water pressure, but it should be switched OFF anyway."

There is a pressure sensitive switch that turns the pump off on the pump head. If you pull one wire off of the switch, the pump will stop.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #9

Washington
Registry
Quote:
There is a pressure sensitive switch that turns the pump off on the pump head. If you pull one wire off of the switch, the pump will stop.
True, but wouldn't it be much easier and convenient to just pull the fuse, which would accomplish the same thing?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
True, but wouldn't it be much easier and convenient to just pull the fuse, which would accomplish the same thing?
I didn't know if that fuse has more than the water pump on it. With three options, Switch, Fuse, Wire, the OP should be able to get it to stop... lol.

If the switch didn't shut if off in the first place, isn't something amiss anyway?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #11

Washington
Registry
Duplicate post, OOPS!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #12

Washington
Registry
Quote:
I didn't know if that fuse has more than the water pump on it. With three options, Switch, Fuse, Wire, the OP should be able to get it to stop... lol.

True, The water pump circuit and the Fantastic Fan are both powered from the same fuse on the converter panel.

If the switch didn't shut if off in the first place, isn't something amiss anyway?
I would definitely agree with you on that one...
Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
There is a screech-bubble sound, maybe it is boiling the water - and it just takes a few days to heat the hot water up?
In all the RV's I've had the water heaters were all the same 6 gal size. It only takes 10-12 minutes to heat it up on LP which I would do just before I needed hot water. I never leave the heater on or the pump switch unless I was going to use it. I have never used the electric feature in it for heating up so I have no idea how long that would take but I doubt not more than an hour.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #14

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
My suggestion would be to read up on your trailers' on-board systems and how things function. It sounds like you are very confused at this point, at least about how water flows through the system and its component parts anyway.
The squealing sound has stopped. It stopped when I cut the water pressure from the city, and then turned it back on again. I have no idea what was going on, but I think there might have been some air-pockets somewhere in the water heater. I think I need to better understand how to re-pressurize the water system. I believe I am supposed to open the sink valves first, until the sputtering stops, then open the shower, and the toilet last.

I have been using the electric water heater for the last 3 months. I leave it on all the time, since the switch is outside. I go through about 1 tank of hot water per day. I have no idea what this means for the "anode". From what I have read, the "anode" will eventually stop working, and I will have to get a new one. I have 2 full LP tanks, I could use those to heat the water. I haven't used any LP for anything in the last 3 months.

My understanding of the water heater, is that I should have *either* the electric or gas heat on, and not both. So I always make sure they are both off, before I turn one of them on. When I was having the screeching sound, the gas was off, and electric was on. My water pump controlled by the sink-switch has always been off. The sound I heard must have been some kind of leak. There is a little water on the floor around the water pump, but not like the major leak I had 2 weeks ago.

If I am going to burnout my anode, maybe I should switch to gas, and just turn it on 20 minutes before I need hot water. Especially as I head in to the NJ winter.

Tags
casita