76 Scamp faucet hand pump operation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #1

Name: kanga
Trailer: scamp 16
Oregon
76 Scamp faucet hand pump operation

Hello, does any one know how to repair or operate a hand pump sink faucet on a 1976 Scamp? Do most folks upgrade to a more updated model? thank you
hiker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker22 View Post
Hello, does any one know how to repair or operate a hand pump sink faucet on a 1976 Scamp? Do most folks upgrade to a more updated model? thank you
Marine supply stores sell faucet pump repair kits but they are brand and model specific. So that is information you need to figure out. Maybe there is a file in the forum that contains that kind of information for the 1970's Scamps.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
From the ones I've seen, and like many products, the older units seem better made than the newer, so I think I'd fix it if I could. Suction is created by a leather gasket inside, which can dry out from long disuse, and can sometimes be revived with mineral oil, and sometimes replaced.

Before you disassemble, though, are you sure it's broken? Put water in the tank and start pumping. You may have to pump quite a while before water comes out. There could be a split in the water line somewhere so all you're drawing is air. I'd check the lines and connections carefully first.

If it is dead and you are unable to fix it, new hand pumps are readily available online or through RV parts stores. An electric on-demand water pump connected to a regular faucet might be a nice upgrade, though, if you plan to make much use of the onboard tank. You can buy single handle, cold-only faucets if your Scamp does not already have one.

My hand pump does work, but getting enough water for anything more than brushing your teeth is a tedious process. We don't use our on-board water system. A 6-gallon jug with a spigot outside and bottled water inside works for us.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
We wore out three RV-grade rocker pumps before picking up a salvaged one from an old west coast commercial fish boat. It's three and a-half lbs of nickel-plated solid brass.

Above the countertop it It doesn't look much different than the others, but in action the flow is at least twice as great and it holds the prime for several minutes between uses.

There are no numbers or markings anywhere on it so I have no idea of the manufacturer or its provenance, except that it's pretty old. Fishboats often stay in service for at least several decades before they're scrapped.

I would suggest looking at a ship chandler/store for your next rocker faucet. It might cost more but it should be the last one you buy.
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:14 PM   #5

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We took out both the hand and 12v pumps and put in a foot pump. Didnt like the racket of the powered pump and we like to wash both hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp