Add pump to Scamp shower drain. What do I need? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Add pump to Scamp shower drain. What do I need?

I think I need to add a pump to my Scamp shower drain. It's a '91 and has the garden hose that goes from the shower drain, through the frame, and into the greywater tank. However, it enters the greywater tank in such a low location on the tank that I get water in the shower any time I travel with even a small amount of water in the greywater tank. Are they all hooked on that low? What kind of pump do I need to pump the water into the tank and prevent backflow? I appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!
Attached Files
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
your problem could be as simple as installing the drain plug after you shower.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #3

I feel that the inlet to the gray water tank is so low that I don't get the capacity in the greywater tank like I should. I feel like it backs up in to the shower.

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 06-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The grey tank should be vented... water seeks its own level so the inlet should be irrelevant.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
I think I need to add a pump to my Scamp shower drain. It's a '91 and has the garden hose that goes from the shower drain, through the frame, and into the greywater tank. ...
When and why did Scamp start putting the shower pump in the camper as standard equipment (with the shower option)? I know that later models have the pump, apparently for exactly the reason you think you need one. If the design is basically the same and the pump serves a purpose then it sounds like a good plan. I never shower in mine so I am happy as long as gray water does not backup into the shower pan / floor.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Is this a side bath Scamp?
Mine was before I modified it and moved the bath to the front with a dropped pan for more headroom.
Originally the shower in mine ran as you said from the drain in the floor to the lower drain and I have no experience with it.
I think you could add a pump like the later Scamps and I think that there is enough room for the pump under there it you wanted to add one.
The pump should have a filter ahead of it and it will act as a check valve to keep it from backing up to the shower pan.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

It is a side bath unit.

Part of the reason this happens is that I must have the incorrect drain on mine. Mine doesn't screw in. I attached a picture of what I have.

If this system is so great, why were pumps added to later models? What pump comes on the newer models? I would guess I need one that can run "dry" for short periods of time. I may not do this before our two-week National Parks in July but it's on my list of improvements. Heck, what's the proper drain? That is a project I could get done before the trip!
Attached Thumbnails
20170615_203806.jpg  
Old 06-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #8

Florida
The simple answer is that side bath has the floor of the shower level with the top of the 6" side which is roughly level with the top of the grey tank.
The drain will run into the grey tank but there is not a lot of the head for the trip.
The new versions have the drain below the top of the grey tank and the water will not drain back to the tank without the pump.
When I installed the bath I chose to have the pump capable of moving around the same as the delivery of the shower head.
This is why there is a valve in the drain line to keep the grey tank from draining into the pan.
The movement of the trailer might well run back to the floor if headed down hill.
in the side bath as well.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #9

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
16 Deluxe with Front Bath

We picked up our 16, with front bath, last month from the factory.

Perhaps the photos I have included will assist and give you some idea what Scamp uses today. (We have not used the shower to date preferring the RV Park facilities instead.)

From the shower drain we have an in-line filter which then goes into the pump. The pump switch is on the wall in the front bath.

Best of luck on your project
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Drain.jpg   Shower Drain_2.jpg  

Shower Drain_3.jpg  
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #10

Jeff,

Thanks for the pictures. That will help a lot when I get around to doing this. I start a two-week National Parks trip next week so I think it will have to wait until I get back. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
We picked up our 16, with front bath, last month from the factory.

Perhaps the photos I have included will assist and give you some idea what Scamp uses today. (We have not used the shower to date preferring the RV Park facilities instead.)

From the shower drain we have an in-line filter which then goes into the pump. The pump switch is on the wall in the front bath.

Best of luck on your project

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 06-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
While mine is not a Scamp (Boler), and not a factory wetbath, after I built our wetbath I had issues with the shower not draining due to the drain hose having to go up hill to connect to our portable Barker gray water tank (the connection point at the gray tank was higher than the drain line under the camper on level ground). I also had issue with the water in the sink backing up into the shower as water seeks the path of least resistance and/or lowest point. My sink has a standard compact p-trap, shower didn't have a p trap but I ordered a Hepvo and installed it and now I have no water backups into the shower. The hepvo is a specially designed trap that uses a membrane that only allows water to flow in one direction. I was skeptical that it would slow the shower draining but it does not. The only issue I have now is if my gray tank should sit higher than the gray water drain line then it is slow draining into the tank so I am considering adding a pump just for that purpose, but as long as the gray tank is lower than my gray water drain line or we are connected to a sewer hookup everything drains fine. I added a PVC valve to the lowest point on my gray water tank so now the connection hose does not have to go up an over which greatly improved the draining into the tank. Just have to make sure the gray tank is level with or lower than the gray water drain line of the camper. A sewer connection could be a problem if it was elevated and my connection hose has to flex up higher than the gray water drain line.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:23 AM   #12

Name: s
Trailer: Scamp
New York
How about a installing a check valve...

How about a installing a check valve... It would be masking the problem but it might work fine too...
Attached Thumbnails
capture9.jpg  
Steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #13

Florida
I needed a pump to move the water from my shower for two reasons. When i built my shower the gray tank was higher than the shower floor and I ran the drain to a pump and then joined to the gray tank at the drain line from the sink.
I have a Hepvo valve at the sink drain to give more room under the sink and act as a positive stop to prevent backflow from the pumped shower drain.
I assume that the pump will act as it's own check valve as that is the only way it can work anyway.
If necessary I have a tub train that will seal the water, one of those click one way to seal and the other to open. I usually have it unscrewed and ratteling around behind the toilet, however.
My biggest problem with the shower is clogging of the screen in the filter before the pump, but I guess that is better than plugging the pump!
Old 07-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #14

Name: s
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I use these screens to extend the time between pump screen cleanings.

I use these screens to extend the time between pump screen cleanings. I put one in the sink and Shower drains... You would be amazed on how much junk is caught in the screen. I believe I got this as a set from Walmart. I believe the dollar store has them too.
Attached Thumbnails
strainersAlone.jpg  
Steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If I remember correctly Scamps with the front bath / shower came with a pump
, the Scamps with the side bath / shower did not
My 1999 Scamp 16 ft had the pump
Floyd ; please correct me if I am wrong
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If I remember correctly Scamps with the front bath / shower came with a pump
, the Scamps with the side bath / shower did not
My 1999 Scamp 16 ft had the pump
Floyd ; please correct me if I am wrong
I am pretty sure that you are correct, Steve.
The floor drain is lower than the top of the gray tank and it is improbable that it will drain.

Tags
scamp