Advise about grey water tank on Lil Snoozy - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #29

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Hydroflush...

I've never found the need to add chemicals to my gray water tank. I do use a Hydroflush to help keep it clean. So far that's worked pretty good for us.

Hyrodflush

Old 10-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #30

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
That looks good just not sure it will work on the OP's trailer if only a garden hose connection on the grey tank, perhaps there is something out there like it though they could use.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #31

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
So with the small opening how does one go about cleaning out the grey water tank?
That's a good question, but I don't think the small fitting makes much difference - the grey tank outlet piping (not the final outlet hose fitting) of my Boler is the usual grey tank size (1.5"), but with the turns between the tank and the valve there's no reasonable way to clean out the tank through the outlet.

Edit: I clarified my reference to "outlet", because it was not clear.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #32

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think the small fitting makes much difference - the outlet of my Boler is the usual grey tank size (1.5"?),
Usual grey water outlet size is 1.5"? really? The one my Scamp as well as a few other brands I have looked at are 3" directly from the tank and all the way out.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #33

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's a good question, but I don't think the small fitting makes much difference - the outlet of my Boler is the usual grey tank size (1.5"?), but with the turns between the tank and the valve there's no reasonable way to clean out the tank through the outlet.
Suggest you use your power of internet search to find the "standard" drain size for RV waste tanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #34

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sewer Solution

We use a sewer solution at home to dump thru a garden hose.

The sewer solution creates a water jet that can be directed thru the hose to force dumping and particle break up. It can also be rotated to squirt into the tank. It seems to be very effective on the black tank and pretty good on the grey. This approach is great for dumping long distances.

We use it sometimes for dumping when camped in my son's yard and always when we get home for the road as a general cleanup. At our son's house we go in thru a cellar window and dump into the washer drain.

We don't always carry it with us, depends on the route.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #35

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We use a sewer solution at home to dump thru a graden hose.

The sewer solution creates a water jet that can be directed thru the hose to force dumping and particle break up. It can also be rotated to squirt into the tank. It seems to be very effective on the black tank and pretty good on the grey. This approach is great for dumping long distances.

We use it sometimes for dumping when camped in my son's yard and always when we get home for the road as a general cleanup. At our son's house we go in thru a cellar window and dump into the washer drain.

We don't always carry it with us, depends on the route.
Sometime just running fresh clean water through the gray water tank is enough. I did that for several years, when at home I connected a water hose to the city water port, turned on the water into the sink, filled the gray water tank to overflow, then drained the gray water tank, repeat a couple of times. At that time my driveway drained into my hay field, so no problems just dumping gray water on the driveway.

That seemed to have worked well enough, now I use the Hydroflush while at a dump station provided I can connect a hose to clean up water hose. If not I wait until I can.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #36

British Columbia
Registry
Again it looks to me that the Sewer Solution needs a 3" fitting on trailer side to work.... which takes us back to my original question as to how does one clean out a grey water tank fully with only a garden hose connection.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There are connections you can add to the side of a grey or black tank that squirts a high pressure jet into the tank. I owned one with our motorhome but never installed it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #38

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Usual grey water outlet size is 1.5"? really? The one my Scamp as well as a few other brands I have looked at are 3" directly from the tank and all the way out.
I think I caused some confusion here by mentioning the size of the grey tank outlet (where the pipe attaches to the grey tank), which is not the same as where the hose is attached (typically 3" for all sewer hose connections).

Yes, in almost every RV I've seen, the black tank outlet piping is large (3"), the grey tank outlet piping is smaller (maybe 1.5"). In most cases the two come together in a Y-fitting to flow into the same standard 3" bayonet fitting. My Boler and my large Class A motorhome both do exactly this, with essentially the same plumbing components. What you see and attach a hose to is 3", but the piping between there and the grey tank is smaller.

The attached photo shows a typical Y-fitting with the 3" black waste valve mounted to one side, and a 1.5" grey waste valve mounted to the other side; the 3" bayonet sewer hose fitting (shown with a cap on it) is shown on top, but would be installed facing horizontally outward. This is a Valterra 3" double ell rotating valve assembly from their 2011 OEM catalog, but there are lots of variations, from multiple manufacturers - I picked this one because it looks like exactly what's in my motorhome, and I think (it has been a few years since I replaced the cracked elbow) in my Boler.

Some RVs have separate black and grey outlet hose fittings, and may use big plumbing all the way from the grey tank outlet to the hose fitting just because it has to end in the 3" bayonet fitting anyway. This separation happens either due to distance (e.g. kitchen and bathroom at opposite ends of a 35-foot trailer) or lack of space (e.g. no way to run a pipe downhill from both bathroom and kitchen of a small trailer with a low floor).
Attached Thumbnails
3inx1.5inValveAssembly-3inBayonetOutlet.JPG  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #39

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
There are connections you can add to the side of a grey or black tank that squirts a high pressure jet into the tank.
I have those on a trailer and a motorhome, but not the Boler. In each case, they were factory-installed, and only in the black tank... I guess there isn't a perceived need to use them in the grey tank.

I think both of Byron's methods (Hydro Flush and just filling the tank from a sink) probably work well enough for the grey tank, which is why the flush fittings are not common on the grey side. I've only used the second of these, and as Carol pointed out for the Sewer Solution and Hydro Flush, you need a 3" bayonet fitting to use these devices on the outlet.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #40

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151
North Carolina
Registry
generator

Keith, seems like the generator will run two out of three of the main appliances at the same time. I believe the main appliances are considered to be the microwave, the refrigerator, and the air conditioner or maybe the hot water heater. I'm not sure. Anyway, that leaves the lights (LED), outlets, the two burner hot plate, the fantastic fan, and the cube heater. It is unlikely anyone is going to need all of these at the same time.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #41

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
LIL Snoozy

Suzie,

Sara and I live in Jackson Co. NC. We went Saturday to the Snoozy factory to look them over. My big concern is how can we use the refrigerator while on the road. I noticed some people have installed 12 volt refrigerators. How has the standard refrig worked for you? If any other Snoozy owners read this, feel free to chime in.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #42

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Suzie,

Sara and I live in Jackson Co. NC. We went Saturday to the Snoozy factory to look them over. My big concern is how can we use the refrigerator while on the road. I noticed some people have installed 12 volt refrigerators. How has the standard refrig worked for you? If any other Snoozy owners read this, feel free to chime in.
Probably what we do about the refrigeration issue would not be liked by most, but it has worked for us so far - admittedly, we have only used the Snoozy for relatively short trips. We have had our camper only a short time (got it in October 2013) and took 3 trips across the state. I had only a little bit of refrigerated stuff - like butter, milk, sandwich meat, and mayo. I froze several freezer packs and put them on the shelves with the food while moving. When we hooked up at night, I put them in the freezer compartment to refreeze for the next day. The refrigerator cooled quickly (since inside temp had stayed down due to the packs). The next day I put the packs down in the main compartment and off we went - essentially using it like a cooler. This has worked for us so far. Whether we have to do something else in the future - maybe, don't know yet. I did not want to do a bunch of cooking anyway, so did not need to cool much.