Aftermarket Outside Shower? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #1

Name: Allison
Trailer: 2016 17' Spirit Deluxe
Texas
Question Aftermarket Outside Shower?

Hi, all. I am about to purchase a 2017 Casita 17'SD. It has no outside shower. Is it possible to install one? Do you have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
This is the same unit they install from the factory as an option, (first link.) It is mounted in a through-hull cut-out under the front side dinette seat base cabinet on the SD models. Ties into the existing hot and cold water lines running along the floor. These are pics of the one installed in my trailer. I replaced the H&C mixing valve that comes with it with this aftermarket one that has a quick disconnect for the hose, (second link.) You'll need the quick disconnect fitting to attach your garden hose to, (third link.)The hose/nozzle that comes with the factory unit is not very good and kinks a lot. I bought this coiled hose to use with mine, (fourth link.)

Rv Outside Shower - White

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002P2YGHE...iglink21057-20

https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-9-SA-...SIN=B003HK57T4

https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-PF267...1Z17N062C4JPPE
Attached Images

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #3

Texas
Thumbs up

Fabulous!! Thank you so much, Greg. This is extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to explain it so clearly and provide the links.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #4

Washington
Registry
You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it.
Greg
Old 06-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Greg, I had the same reaction. You were very helpful.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #6

Name: Linh
Trailer: UHAUL
California
I highly recommend going with an ice fishing tent for the shower/bathroom. I did this with my Uhaul ct13.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
When we use our privacy tent as a little bathroom, it does give us more privacy and space inside Peanut...works fine for showering (sit down showers, granted). Some days we can even heat the water with solar power in an all-black bucket...

An ice-fishing tent might be super for such a thing. Or a hunting hide type pop-up--very small windows.

Something to consider!

Kai
Old 06-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #8

Washington
Registry
One caveat, using an outside shower, even if hidden from view in an enclosure, can be a big no-no in most parks. Direct discharge to the ground is not an approved method of disposing of grey water in a camp site. You may find yourself in trouble if detected using this showering method.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Casita Greg: you are 100% correct.

I only use that situation when absolutely necessary...though I'd have a hard time claiming it is life saving to do so under any circumstances.

And I use a minimum of water; mainly I wash my hair, wetting it with one large plastic tumbler of warm water, using a minimum of soap, rinse it with another large tumbler of warm water, and that's it. The rest is just rubbing and run-off. I use the campground showers whenever possible--in Oregon, they have free showers and usually they work great.

Something to definitely keep in mind. Some campgrounds practically if not literally forbid putting any water outside...we'd have to respect that, for sure.

Gone are the days Peanut was made for--the original sink drain was a little pipe that emptied onto the ground underneath the trailer--there was no built-in holding tank for gray water designed for amerigos in those days of skies darkened by pterodactyls. Ah, such a simpler time! (Later there were those free-standing turquoise tanks, but that's another issue.)

And fewer people making messes in campgrounds...

Kai

i
Old 06-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
In the area where you put the outside shower fitting add a small awning with side curtains. It is a discreet looking shower room that does not scream "portable toilet tent". It won't set off any alarm bells with the people who run the campgrounds or with any of the neighbors either. If the awning room is large you can partition off a corner of it for the shower and leave the rest for normal use. Just pull the shower curtain, meaning a sunbrella type fabric not an obvious shower curtain, around that corner when privacy is wanted.

I have opted to have a 5 x 5 popup canopy against the wall by my trailer door. I am making side curtains for it that have screened openings and roll down privacy/rain panels over the screened areas. Of course also a zippered opening against the trailer door as well as an exit door.

Of course if you are camping on Padre Island along the shore there won't be any issues with using an outdoor shower. Primitive camping is much more likely to accept it as a given, especially at the sea shore or lake shore.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #11

Texas
Thanks so much for all the replies. I've decided to go with a Casita with a built in shower both inside and out.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #12

Name: t
Trailer: Phoenix
California
We use a Clam Shelter for our outside shower. Have tested it up to 60 MPH (NO JOKE!) winds @ Lake Havasu.

This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TMBEMQ6/

Plus 4 of these panels (note that the 4th panel doesn't have attaching points like the other 3 but still loosely works): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YSPKZH6/