Alternative water storage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Posts: 410
water storage

I would suggest you take a look at the water system utilized by "Ian G" on our forum in his Boler. Quite ingenious and using the water cooler facilitates cleaning due to the large top opening. Admittedly the round container is not as space efficient as square containers. You could use the square containers for additional storage to refill the cooler. I worked for my uncle as a welding apprentice and our water storage was one of these coolers and I can guarantee they will stand up to an incredible amount of abuse. Lee
__________________

__________________
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Timber Wolf's Avatar
 
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
milk jugs would do for a time or two...the plastic holds some of the milkfat and goes rancid in time,
I have heard that too, but we have not actually experienced it. I guess we did not know the jugs were supposed to have a problem when we started so we never had a problem. We use well rinsed 2% milk jugs and although I do rinse and re-fill before each trip I have left water from the last trip in them for weeks and did not notice any smell when I dumped it out. We have not been out more than a week so maybe an issue would arise in water stored for a longer period and then actually used.
__________________

__________________
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #17
Member
 
Name: Miriam
Trailer: Scamp
California
Posts: 31
Registry
I just found these food grade 5 gallon water jugs. It looks like they have interchangeable lids so one could have a solid cap during towing and a pour cap to drop a tube in while camped. Only $11 from the Lexington container company. I wish they came in a 3.5 gallon size like the waterbrick.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456370007.946721.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	92838


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
Ruralredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #18
Member
 
Name: Miriam
Trailer: Scamp
California
Posts: 31
Registry
RogerDat, thanks for tip on the weather containers. I like the big handle on the 3 gallon.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
Ruralredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Kai in Seattle's Avatar
 
Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Posts: 1,516
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have heard that too, but we have not actually experienced it. I guess we did not know the jugs were supposed to have a problem when we started so we never had a problem. We use well rinsed 2% milk jugs and although I do rinse and re-fill before each trip I have left water from the last trip in them for weeks and did not notice any smell when I dumped it out. We have not been out more than a week so maybe an issue would arise in water stored for a longer period and then actually used.
It's probably the longer storage that's the issue, as that information was from FEMA in an emergency-preparedness class we took. For emergency water supplies, the kind you store for six or twelve months in a secure, out-of-the-way place. Probably you're keeping the water plenty fresh...but might find it's not fresh after months and months. I like milk cartons, myself, they're free, a good size, kind of square, and pretty sturdy. Your experience encourages me to go ahead and clean some up to use camping--making sure to refresh and renew the water every few weeks as you've done. Also, they say if you "shake" the container well after it's been sitting a while, the water will oxygenate and taste better. YMMV.
__________________
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #20
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,081
Lye turns milk fats into soap. A dilute solution of lye and water is what they use to clean milking machines. Or did back in the day when I pitched silage for a dairy farm.


Lye turns the milk fat into soap which then rinses out easily.


Cat litter jugs are square, we use them in our freezer to take up extra space and pack them in cooler for camping. Avoids ice melting all over the place. Don't think we drink them as a rule but probably could. Cat litter is just clay (at least the stuff we bought back when we had cats) Not sure how tight the seal is either they are generally upright. But might be worth taking a look at.


Pure chlorine bleach (no fragrance and non-detergent) can purify water at a few drops per gallon will help the shelf life I have been told. For purification using bleach or water storage suggestions see Water Purification :: Washington State Dept. of Health


2 liter bottles actually make sense, not as convenient in terms of shape but I use one for dog water often. Seals well, no plastic taste (dog shares water with me but not her bowl).
__________________
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #21
Member
 
Name: Miriam
Trailer: Scamp
California
Posts: 31
Registry
Any suggestions of how to plumb a drain hose to an external collapsable water jug? I found this item which is already plumbed but it is probably bigger than I need. It is also $50 and the one RogerDat suggested is $10 and collapses. Side note: one of the reviews for this product is a scamp owner.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts on this. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456548220.886973.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	92898Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456548240.213594.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	92899


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
Ruralredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
I have the portable 6 gallon waste container you show in your post. I use it when boon docking to drain off my grey tank as needed without having to move the trailer. Works well and not to heavy to pick up and load in the car to take away for proper disposal of grey water. You have the option of using the large slinky hose or a small garden hose attachment with it.

It is also a good option for those with no grey tanks for a couple of reasons. One some parks (often National parks and some provincial parks) here do not allow open grey water containers as they can/will attracted animals (not to mention flying insects). It fits nicely under the trailer and mostly out of sight when in use on most small trailers.

I know some folks who use the large buckets with lids and a hole in the lid for the drain BUT they have been told they can not use it in some parks as it is easy to knock over and the grey water can drain from the open hole in the top.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralredhead View Post
Any suggestions of how to plumb a drain hose to an external collapsable water jug?
The plumbing is pretty simple. Its how many of the old bolers as well as Scamps with no holding tanks are plumbed.

From under the sink you will need something like the Camco RV Flexible Camper Drain to the fitting on the outside of the trailer.
The fitting on the outside is what you would attach a short garden hose (often comes with the portable tank you have in the photo) to a water outlet drain fitting on the outside of the trailer. You can find them at most marine stores and your local RV shop may carry them as well. It has no check valve as a city water input fitting does and it will look like this:
Attached Images
 
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #24
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
I would suggest you take a look at the water system utilized by "Ian G" on our forum in his Boler. Quite ingenious and using the water cooler facilitates cleaning due to the large top opening. Admittedly the round container is not as space efficient as square containers. You could use the square containers for additional storage to refill the cooler. I worked for my uncle as a welding apprentice and our water storage was one of these coolers and I can guarantee they will stand up to an incredible amount of abuse. Lee
Here are full instructions on my solution, using an external water reservoir. I have now been using this system for 3+ years and have no intention of going back to any other system External Water Reservoir

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Posts: 528
Ian,

Interesting water reservoir. One modification I would make to simplify the arrangement would be to install a "Y" splitter, with individual shut-offs to the inside of your city water inlet. You could then use the same water inlet for both city water and your reservoir - would just have to change the valve positions to direct the incoming water to either your city faucet or your hand pump. Would save you from having to add a second water inlet. Do you see any problem with that idea?

I'll be keeping this in mind.
__________________
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #26
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Ian,

Interesting water reservoir. One modification I would make to simplify the arrangement would be to install a "Y" splitter, with individual shut-offs to the inside of your city water inlet. You could then use the same water inlet for both city water and your reservoir - would just have to change the valve positions to direct the incoming water to either your city faucet or your hand pump. Would save you from having to add a second water inlet. Do you see any problem with that idea?

I'll be keeping this in mind.
Actually you don’t need 2 inlets or the “y”. Use the single street water inlet with the water pump installed in that line between the inlet and the faucet. Connect the hose from the external reservoir to the water inlet on the trailer, turn on the pump and water drawn from the reservoir into the pump and is pressurized to the faucet. For connecting to street water just connect the hose to the same water inlet on the side of the trailer, water will flow through the pump to the faucet. Just make sure you use a water pressure regulator when connected to street water to prevent too much pressure in the pump.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #27
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The plumbing is pretty simple. Its how many of the old bolers as well as Scamps with no holding tanks are plumbed.

From under the sink you will need something like the Camco RV Flexible Camper Drain to the fitting on the outside of the trailer.
The fitting on the outside is what you would attach a short garden hose (often comes with the portable tank you have in the photo) to a water outlet drain fitting on the outside of the trailer. You can find them at most marine stores and your local RV shop may carry them as well. It has no check valve as a city water input fitting does and it will look like this:
The outside attachment shown by Carol is stock on my trailer. The inside has a hose barb so you slip drain hose on and put a hose clamp on it. The other end of the hose attaches to a drain trap at the drain made for RV's (otherwise you get smells from the tank back inside) The one I have looks like this. Robot Check

The plate nipple in the picture provided by Carol is threaded to take a standard garden hose, you can make one from a short hose (maybe a washing machine hookup or old garden hose) which can be attached between the outside of your camper and your gray water reservoir.

Good hardware store will be most useful for figuring out the best fixtures for the tank/jug attachment of the short hose going from outside wall fixture to tank. Will depend on what your tank or jug is like. The portable waste tanks will often have a fitting already for a hose.

Some parks require the grey water be in sealed container, using a bucket will tend to draw flies and other pests/critters. Small animals such as chipmunks will get in the "nice" smelling bucket and drown.
__________________
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #28
Member
 
Name: Miriam
Trailer: Scamp
California
Posts: 31
Registry
Thank you for the detailed instructions. I need to chose my water jugs and get the rest of the parts and I will be well on my way. I'll post pictures when it is finished but fair warning I'm a slow mover so it might be a little while.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________

__________________
Ruralredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternative names for food Gina D. Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 20 01-04-2007 03:56 PM
Yet another alternative awning option Gina D. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 6 10-24-2006 10:46 AM
More alternative air conditioning ideas Gina D. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 7 07-27-2006 08:22 AM
Storage, Storage, and Storage Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 18 11-20-2002 10:43 AM
Storage, Storage, and Storage Modifications, Alterations and Updates 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.